First let me say that i hope i am posting in the right section. Although there is a browser section i believe my issue could be due to some kind of spyware or virus.
I also browsed the site but could not find any solutions to my issues.
Since yesterday evening i have several issues with my computer:
1. IE does not display gmail (white page) but gmail notifyer and google personalized home display part of new messages and confirm i'm logged in.
2. IE does not display mswindowsupdate (white page)
3. The Volume control button is not displayed in task bar any more. The control panel sound access says to reinstall the prog in add/remove but it is not available (or i did not find it)
4. Windows media player is not working, 'internal error' message. Maybe linked to sound issue?
I tried to reinstall it, downloaded the install exe for wmp10 but installation will not complete. Other players like realplayer or itunes are working fine and have sound.
5. I cannot run a search on my comp via windows explorer. Clicking on search does not display the input boxes to launch the search, only displays a colored box on left side but with no fields.
6. Desktop weather from weather.com does not display any more either (only blue screen like gmail but a right click let's me change options and see some online menus)
7. It appears my version of IE is not recognized anymore (the 'about' does not display a version number or product ID, just blank space)
8. Within IE, I am unable to start a download because the dowload buttons are not displayed.
For example, I tried downloading IE to reinstall it and noticed my IE will not let me download it. I tried to download Firefox but the getfirefox.com webpage displays in IE without the 'download' green box at the top right while the rest of the page seems fine. Same on download.com, the box to launch the download would not display.
I managed to get firefox by first downloading Netscape which displayed the above pages correctly. In Firefox I can access my gmail account ok but would like to solve the IE/windows problem.
Before all this happened i had downloaded some patches from windows updates which were apparently installed with no issues. I also had spywareblaster protections up to date and activated as well as McAffee running in background.
I have run Adaware with the setup indicated on this site and did not find any issues.
I have run Spybot with the DSO fix and it did find issues which were fixed but did not solve the problems above (sorry it seems no log are avail in spybot to provide details of the issues found).
I reran and now it does not find any issues. However both times it did give me the following message about half way through the scan : There were errors in the include file: C:program file\spybot\hijackers.sbi
I have run CleanUp! several time.
Also, through Firefox, I downloaded the IE6 install exe but it is unable to complete (like media player) because it says it finds a newer version already installed.
At this point i have no idea what to do anymore, if anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry for the length of this message.
Edited by bastien, 19 August 2005 - 03:30 PM.