Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sounds Sounds and No Sounds

• Please log in to reply

IceQueen747

IceQueen747

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:) I am running 98SE and recently, although Im not sure what happened to my pc, it started acting strange and somehow lost sound. I've tried to install new drivers by what I Everest said I needed but when I go to add the new hardware, it says unknown device and to reinstall drivers. Im good with doing all this so far but I got a code 28 once and then something in regards to Kernal System Renderer. Now Im totally lost. Is there anyone that can guide me through what I need to do here? :tazz: And to think, I thought going to law school was hard, I'll take a room full of judges and attorneys any day over this confusion....LOL

Thanks so much
Missy :)

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
To eliminate a couple of things, boot the PC and keep tapping F8 right after the beep until you get options, select command prompt only, type scanreg.exe /fix then press enter, it will run through a few screens then say registry repaired. Press enter then press ctrl + alt + delete keys together to reboot.

When it has loaded, click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools, system information, tools then run system file checker and replace any files it asks for from the 98SE CD.

Running these checks will rebuild the registry and replace missing system files

Then you should have more luck installing things