Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Problems with "CleanUp"

• Please log in to reply

chipster1

chipster1

• Pip
  • 8 posts
:tazz: Each time I use "CleanUp" program to completely clean my computer,it always asks me to load my Dell Back up Program CD. Does anyone know why that happens and is there anyway I can prevent that from happening? Thanks for your help.
Dell 8100, XPsp1, 512 RAM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Never used clean up but does it have an option to analyze what needs cleaning

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
No, the program CleanUp! does not have a analye button like CCleaner, but try and lower the cleaning to a standard cleaning using options and tell us what happens!
Rwgards RockyIV

Edited by RockyIV, 19 August 2005 - 06:17 PM.

chipster1

chipster1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I have also used CCleaner and the same thing happened. Where would these files be filed so I would avoid erasing them. The only place I can think of is in the Index.dat files. Does that make sense? BTW, thanks for your input.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have CCleaner, remove all but one of the ticks for cleaning run it then reboot, go through the whole list, with just one item selected for cleaning, reboot after each run then see which one causes Dell to want to load from the back up CD

chipster1

chipster1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
:tazz: Thanks. Makes sense but i was hoping for an easier way. Is there any other way except by using the process of elimination? Where would Dell hide these files?

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
Have you got a Dell BackUp CD? If yes try inserting it and then see what happens!
Regards RockyIV

Edited by RockyIV, 19 August 2005 - 08:58 PM.

drljspr

drljspr

• Pip
  • 9 posts
If you use cleanup or cleanup with Norton or any clean up program, expect it to get rid of files that are needed by some programs. There are only two ways out of this, 1. Don't use a clean up program. 2. Go over each one that it wants to delete and know for sure that it is safe to delete because it is not needed by another program. Same with register cleaners.

Scorpex

Scorpex

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
My 2 cents,

As an analyst in another forum, I instructed a user to use Cleanup! as a part of a fix. And a folder named C:\WINNT\Temp\DellBckp (Windows 2000 in this case) was deleted and caused errors on startup due to running Cleanup (note this was 2 months ago).

My instructions that fixed this at the time was (from the Dell site):

Note: you must have the Backup: Dell-Installed Programs CD

Go to Add/Remove programs and remove: Backup: Dell-Installed Programs

Insert the Backup: Dell-Installed Programs CD in the CD drive.

The Backup: Dell-Installed Programs window appears.

Click the Next button.

The InstallShield Wizard Complete window appears.

Click the Finish button.

(you don’t want to install anything - Exit)

Remove the CD - Reboot

The newer way to run Cleanup is:
  • Start CleanUp by double-clicking the icon on your desktop (or from the Start > All Programs menu).
  • When CleanUp starts go to the Options button (right side of CleanUp screen)
  • Move the arrow down to "Custom CleanUp!"
  • Now place a checkmark next to the following (Make sure nothing else is checked!):
    • Delete Cookies
      This is optional, if you leave the box checked it will remove all of your cookies, at this point removing cookies is a good idea
    • Empty Recycle Bins
    • Delete Prefetch files
    • Cleanup! All Users
  • Click OK
  • Then click on the CleanUp button. This will take a short while, let it do its thing.
  • When asked to log off - select depends on the situation
Hopefully this should leave the Backup: Dell-Installed Programs alone – Although I’m not quite sure why they put it there in the first place. Is there an option while installing to put it in a more permanent place?

Scorpex

chipster1

chipster1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks Scopex,
I''ll try your solution. Yess, I do have the Backup CD and each time I have installed it, it starts up and seems to correct the problem. However, ther is no INstallWizard that appears. I don't believe it asks me for another place to put these files. Anything else I should be aware of? Thanks for your help.

chipster1

chipster1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
info erased

Edited by chipster1, 20 August 2005 - 12:38 PM.