Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hp pavilian 304 w

• Please log in to reply

headach1

headach1

• Pip
  • 7 posts
hi headach1 is getting a realy bad headach now :) . I needed to relpace a fan on the mother board due to it had broken blades. but befor i replaced the fan the pc when i tried to start it the tower would shut down within a few seconds of starting it up. now i have replaced the fan and the tower is doing the same as it was befor fan was replaced. it is still shutting down within only a few seconds of turning it on. and nothing comes up on the screen. can sopmeone plz. help help help i am totaly puzzled by this :) :tazz: help me plz.....

Advertisements

katkat92

katkat92

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
So just to rule out overheating, does new fan work and the blades turn on it? Is there a hot smell?

When you turn it on, are there any beeps? Does it post at all, what do you see happen on the screen? Can you get it to even stay on long enough to boot into safe mode?

I need more info... :tazz:

WhatThe

WhatThe

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
You should check you BIOS (if the PC will stay on long enough)

What we are looking for is Thermal Shutdown for the CPU it shoud be set to around 80 degrees, depending on your CPU.

Try the CPU in another board if poossible, CPU's can be damaged by heat but in my experience they are pretty tuff.

Have you reset the BIOS? might be worth a go.

Also check your power supply.

If the PC is shutting down because the CPU is actually overheating then it should be obvious.

Stasiek

Stasiek

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
fan on the mobo? never heard of one.

are you refering to the cpu fan or the case fan?

it could be a heating issue but unless your case temp is very high it's probably related to hardware.

are you receiving any beep codes? if so what is the sequence and what bios are you using

WhatThe

WhatThe

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Some mobos have northbridge fans

they are rare but they do exist

Small fans are much more likely to fail but i don't know about breaking the blades on a north bridge fan or how you would accidently do that.

I just assumed he meant his CPU fan.

Stasiek

Stasiek

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
i have re-read your initial post, what you are saying is that your pc is rebooting itself right?

does bios load? eny errors? if so what does it say. any beeps? if so what sequence.
you should post you pc hardware specifications (ie. like my sig, just make sure it's up to date :tazz: )

headach1

headach1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
the new fan works and is turning,there is no hot smell,there is no beeps,does not post at all,no views on screen,cant get it to stay on long enough to go to safe mode,the fan is on the mother board over the top of metal tines is not in a case,pc is a hp pavilion 304 w, i had never seen a fan blade broken as well this is a 1st for me too, the pc does not reboot its self it keeps shutting off. i do not understand why, i don't know what to do or where to look in this vandamm thing i don't understand why it keeps shutting down within a few seconds and why i can't get it to stay on long enough to find the problem.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

With what you describe it could be cpu overheat, what happens is your motherboard senses that the cpu is getting hot and turns it self off to prevent damage.

There are a couple of things that can cause this but with you replacing the fan and I am assuming it was the cpu fan you have to make sure you connected the fan wirer to the same place the original fan was connected if not this will cause the shutoff.

Also make sure the heatsink, the "fin thing" as you said is not loose in any way as this also would cause the shutdown

Rick