Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

AdAware will not run/hangs up [CLOSED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

bobbyp

bobbyp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Don,

I attempted to run AdAware again, per your directions, with no success. The ONLY time I have been able to run AdAware since all of this started is by doing the following...

*reboot into safe mode
*using add/remove programs uninstall AdAware
*verify there are NO Lavasoft folders or files left by doing a "find folders or files" search and deleting any if such are found
*re-installing AdAware using a recent backup copy of 1.06 stored in MY DOCS
*upon completion of the installation I uncheck the options to "search for updates NOW", and "run helps files NOW" and leave the "run AdAware scan NOW" option checked

AdAware then runs a scan using the definitions that are included with the copy of 1.06 I have (May 2005). Any attempt to run AdAware again after that initial scan results in the program to stop responding during the "Loading Definitions" portion of it opening. Ctrl+Alt+delete= [AdAware SE Not Responding]

As for Firefox, again... any attempt to use any option in the tool bar such as navigation to a previously viewed website using the history, or attempting to access the security settings using TOOLS/OPTIONS/SECURITY, or trying to surf the web to any where else but the designated homepage will result in the program no longer responding (as shown by doing a Ctrl+Alt+Delete). To cure this I have unistalled and re-installed the program numerous times, in both safe and normal modes, and doing a file/folder search for any remaining files or folders and deleting them. This has produced no positive results.

I hope I have been as detailed as possible in providing you the information you require to aid me in fixing these issues.

I just have this gut feeling that something in the way of a file or regestry entry is missing causing these two programs to stop functioning... but I simply do not know.

Bob the builder

Advertisements

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
Bob,
There was a known bug that was fixed in the recent def's,
Can you go Here and download the recent defs, unzip them into the Lavasoft folder.

See if your able to run Ad-aware

bobbyp

bobbyp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Sorry Don :tazz: it didn't work. I downloaded the file, unzipped it and moved it to the Adaware program in the Lavasoft folder. I was asked if I wanted to replace the existing file with the new one and I responded YES. I then tried to run the program and it did the exact same thing.

Bob the builder

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
Hi Bob mind if we get a look at something? Can you reboot to safe mode and run a scan with Ad-aware,

Ad-Aware SE comes preconfigured with default options so we need you to make only one change. Please deselect "Search for negligible risk entries" as negligible risk entries (MRU's) are not considered to be a threat. This option can be changed when choosing your scan type.

Select "Perform Full System Scan" and press "Next". When the scan has completed, click "Show Logfile".

Copy and paste the log back here please

bobbyp

bobbyp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Don...

Adaware will not run in either safe mode or normal mode at all.

The only way I can get it to go past the "LOADING DEFINITIONS" mini

screen is to completely uninstall it and re-install it... uncheck "update now"

& uncheck "open help file now" options.

Doing so results in it using the May 2005 definitions, which results in no

threats being found.

Bob the builder

miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,503 posts
  • MVP
Hi Bob,

I just noticed... (well I actually noticed it before) that you really need to update your windows. And maybe that is the reason why newer versions/definitions of Adaware fail.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 4:08:18 PM, on 8/20/05
Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

So, that's a good thing to start with..... update your windows first and let's see afterwards if you are still having the same problems. :tazz:

bobbyp

bobbyp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Miekiemoes,
Hiya, already did that. Spent about two hours Monday downloading and installing updates. I also looked for other updates for software I have such as HP and installed them as well. There is one update that Spybot S&D won't let in and that is a NetFX regestry entry.

Bob the Builder

bobbyp

bobbyp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
... oh yes, and even if I don't update the the defs in AdAware and continue to try and use the May 2005 def.refs, after coaxing the first intial run out of AdAware it will not run again in either mode.

I am seriously considering do a refresh install of Windows 98 and see if that cures my ills (http://www.pcworld.c...d,105866,00.asp).

See (LOL)... and you guys probably thought I just dumped my problem on your laps, put my feet up, and waited to see if you could fix it for me when actually I am trying to solve it as well :tazz:

Bob the builder

miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,503 posts
  • MVP
Well, it is a strange problem you are dealing with.

About the Netfx update... I have the same issue here. The update fails all the time and I don't have even Spybot S&d installed.
Still trying to find out what the cause is...

Well, if you decide a fresh install, that's up to you ofcourse. I reinstall my windows one time a year, not because there is malware present or errors, but just because I like the smell of a fresh installed windows LOL.. everything goes faster, and you start with a 'clean registry' without leftovers from previous things you installed/uninstalled...

IF adaware acts the same after the fresh install, well, then we know it's not your system but adaware itself. :tazz:

Let us know. :)

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Advertisements