Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

service pack sp1 and sp2

• Please log in to reply

smithxx99

smithxx99

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
I heard sp1 and sp2 slows down the computer. Is this true

Thanks

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
No. It protects your computer. An article out recently in USA Today gave this timeline:

Monitoring software reveals intruders incessantly probing the Internet for vulnerable PCs on Sept. 10.

10:52:08
Less than four minutes from start of the test, an intruder breaks into Windows XP SP1 through the vulnerability most famously exploited by last May's Sasser worm. Ensuing instructions get garbled.

11:03:30
Eleven minutes later another intruder breaks into XP SP1 through the security hole exploited by the July 2003 MS Blaster worm. Ensuing instructions get garbled.

11:04:04
While the previous break-in is still unfolding, another intruder, using a different attacking computer, breaks into XP SP1 through the Sasser hole. Ensuing instructions get garbled.

20:21:44
An intruder breaks into XP SP1 for the fourth time using the MS Blaster hole. Things go smoothly. He begins uploading commands. He confirms XP SP1 is connected to the Internet, then begins making repeated attempts to connect XP SP1 to a server running an Internet Relay Chat channel, the equivalent of a private Instant Messaging line.

20:22:49
The intruder successfully connects XP SP1 to the IRC channel, which is probably also running on a hijacked PC.

20:23:05
The intruder instructs XP SP1 to navigate to a designated Web site, likely running on yet another hijacked PC. XP SP1 downloads a program, called ie.exe, from the Web site.

20:23:11
XP SP1 begins scanning the Internet, poised to similarly hijack other PCs exhibiting the same unpatched security hole.

Flipper

Flipper

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
When I downloaded SP2 my wireless pcmcia card was no longer recognized by my router. The only way I can get it to work is to uninstall sp2. I've received no help from Microsoft (repeated emails and calls) to resolve this and the calls the DLINK and LInksys (router) tech support - I was told the cards would not work with SP2.
I'm getting help thru this blog to see if we can figure it out.. If you operate with a wireless card you may have a problem. (Otherwise, I believe SP2 is a good thing!)