Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

format hard drive?

• Please log in to reply

dob

dob

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
ive got two laptop drives i want to sell on ebay, both have xp installed with ntfs file systems. i want to format them both, but the only way i know how is to put in the xp disc and press format partition, but then thats just preparing it to install xp.
is there anyway to make the hard disc clean, so its not just ntfs and the buyer can choose ntfs or fat32 and install whatever they want and all data is erased, as if it was new?

Advertisements

WhatThe

WhatThe

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
You could use a Linux boot disk and fill the drive with Zero's this will wipe all data from the drive.

dob

dob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
and they could just write to it as normal through bios? where would i get a linux boot disk? just search on google or do i need a particular version? thanks

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You can download a single XP boot disk from this link :
http://freepctech.co.../files010.shtml

This will allow you to remove the NTFS partitions & either create FAT32 ones or just leave the drives unpartitioned