Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Extra removable disk drive

• Please log in to reply

supernoober

supernoober

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Hi, I am pretty noob. I have nothing plugged in my computer usb, but a removable drive appears in my computer. When I start my computer, safely remove hardware appears in the lower right hand cornor. It shows hardware devices "psc 2200 (DOT4USB)" and "USB Mass Storage Devices" even though I have nothing plugged in. I do not know much about this stuff. Please help, thanks.

Edit: By the way, I have disabled my floppy disk drive, does it have any relevance?

Edited by supernoober, 19 August 2005 - 09:50 PM.

Advertisements

WhatThe

WhatThe

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Do you have a HP printer PSC2200 perhaps?

WhatThe

WhatThe

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
I see you say you had nothing plugged in you USB ports, so perhaps there used to be a HP printer plugged in to that PC, actually it sounds likea multifunction printer scanner copier.

supernoober

supernoober

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Yes, I have a hp psc printer, but what about the other thing ? Usb mass storage device??
Plus why do I have a removable drive ? I don't know where it is or what it does.

EDIT: I didn't use to have that removable drive before. I just saw it today.

Edited by supernoober, 19 August 2005 - 10:17 PM.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Your earlier Posts were dealing with MALWARE- Did you get all that cleared up or is this something left over?

It would be wise to recheck - for MALWARE - again / still??

Jack123

supernoober

supernoober

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
How do I check for malware? I just want to get rid of that extra removable drive and not have the safely remove hardware show up when i reboot.

Edit: there is no malware and stuff like that.

Edited by supernoober, 20 August 2005 - 03:36 AM.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic: EXTRA USB Drive
Date: 20 AUG- 2005

First 7 posts was with Virus/Malware issues – did that all get resolved?

Have you got any CD or DVD burning software installed? Certain CD/DVD Burning applications create a Virtual CDROM Drive. –

Left Click [MY COMPUTER]. – Any extra Drives shown? – Right Click on it to pull down MENU – Left Click on [Properties] – ANY USB Drive showing up? - ANY Virtual Drives??

Some of your earlier posts were dealing with a Virtual Drive - and “Start Installation” – Did all that get resolved?

Trying to help –

But it appears that your [PAST ISSUES] – may not all be resolved & is somehow related to this issue.

How is your DVD / CD Drive?? - Connected to Computer? How is Printer connected to Computer?

Jack123

supernoober

supernoober

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
I have no malware, spyware, or virusses. You must be talking about the windows installer message; I am certain that is not malware and it does not install anything, it just shows up and dissapears in a second. I have a virtual drive with alcohol 120, but that is not the extra removable drive that appeared yesterday. Printer is connected to computer via usb but nothing else is plugged in usb. All dvd/cd drives are fine. I disabled the removable drive, which has the icon that looks like a floppy disk drive, in control panel> system. I am not sure if it will show up again.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Your Printer is it ALL in ONE that prints photos?

If it is - Then the printer - - probably has a Memory card reader which to the Computer may seen as a Mass Storage device. . .

Can you print directly from a photo mem card?

Does this [Safe to remove] pop up when you Turn printer OFF?

If [YES] It is your Printer - which you said is an USB printer -

It probably is :

1- Printer
2- Scanner
3- Copier
4- Mass Storage / (8 in 1 Card Reader) and (probably has 4 Drive Ports)

What is MFG & Model Number of Printer & how long have you had it? Is this when this problem started - right after Printer Installation??

Jack123

supernoober

supernoober

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
my printer is hp psc 2210xi all-in-one. I removed the hpoddt01.exe from the allprograms>startup that was causing the installer message. I don't have a memory thing. The printer has been installed for months.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic: HP PSC Printer 2210 x1 All in One
Date: 20th AUG- 2005

Here is some [hp psc 2210xi all-in-one] Information - & Web Sites that you may find an interest in -

Supported PHOTO CARDS:
1 - CompactFlash (IBM Microdrive also uses this slot)
2 - Secure Digital
3 - Sony Memory Stick
4 - SmartMedia

Specifications
http://h10025.www1.h...ocname=bpu00642

Driver & Software Downloads:
http://h10025.www1.h...&product=79502

Manual pdf File
http://h10025.www1.h...&lang=en&cc=us

Photo Card Help:

http://h10025.www1.h...00028775#N10142

Supported PHOTO CARDS

http://h10025.www1.h...cname=c00028775

The HP all-in-one supported image file types are listed below:
JPEG (baseline data)
RGB uncompressed TIFF
YcbCr TIFF (uncompressed or RLE compressed mode)
Grayscale TIFF
Bilevel TIFF (uncompressed or RLE compressed mode)

Jack123

vasundhara

vasundhara

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Please do this following procedure , maybe it will help you to solve your problem.

1.Go to Start
2.Type Folder Options and press enter
3.In Folder Options window , click on "View" tab.
4.Than click on radio button "Dont show hidden files ,folders,or drives-ON"

hope this will solve your problem, since I was dealing with same problem I did this and it worked.