Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Yahoo Chatroom Mayhem

• Please log in to reply

Absorb

Absorb

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
I don't know if any of you have experienced this, or even use yahoo messenger, but there are people in these yahoo chat rooms that made it their lifes work to dominate chat rooms.

I go to just fool around and stuff, but some jackholes somehow have this script that can target a yahoo id and bombard them with instant messages.

I would ask how do they do it, but i don't really care about crashing someones ymessenger with 1000 IMs. I want to know how to dodge them. like han solo to the Empire..

Is there anyway for me to not be nuked by these IMs? does it have something to do with them finding my IP address??

There are many of these yahoo and probably even msn hacks, but i don't want to go download someone elses scripts or programs or something, I want to be able to do my own sometime, but maybe something more constructive if it's possible, i just don't know where to start.

Right now, all i care about is finding a way to avoid being disabled by millions of IMs infesting my computer screen.. Bring back my freedom to chat!!!

Corny i know, but lets keep that from a geek to a geek ok.

lol

PEACE

Advertisements

Justin

Justin

I do a little bit of everything

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
Im sure it happens in a lot of chat rooms.

The only real way is to add them to your ignore list. Since they are just clicking on your Screen Name and then sending you the instant message.

I dont use Yahoo Messanger, but there might be an option in your buddy list preferences that makes it so you can ONLY recieve instant messages from people on your buddy list.

HarryMay

HarryMay

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
If you do somehow get connections right about where they're doing their dastardly deeds,DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT ENGAGE IN TECHNO WARFARE WITH THESE CRETINS!If you must,go to the library and use their machines.

Absorb

Absorb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I guess that would be my safest method. Block everyone except those in my buddy list.

The only thing i would have problems with is making friends, either way its worth it, especially with the poop load of pervs who cant tell the difference between a male and female and those piss-off [bleep] bots.

But i THINK it would have been fun to fight back some how, or atleast make things difficult for them.

Still I'm at a great disadvantage with an expensive laptop and dialup connection.. So I might as well let it slide.

Justin

Justin

I do a little bit of everything

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
The only other thing I can think of is to either complain to yahoo (not sure what they would do), or find a different chat room that is less "Aggressive"

drljspr

drljspr

• Pip
  • 9 posts
What I normaly do is to Make a reply of my own. And when they send me a stupid im, I paste my info and send. Just write it on a note, highlite , then copy it. Everytime an im pops up, click in the message box, right click, paste, and send, and close, fast simple and easy. After a couple of weeks at this, they have really slowed down. Now, I only get one once in a while. It seems that they get to know you.

phantomas

phantomas

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
http://www.ytunnelpro.com/

Absorb

Absorb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I don't mean random purn bots, and advertisements, i mean people who purposefully bombard you with ims with the soul purpose of overloading your yahoo messenger to the point of program malfunction.. Just for kicks or because they are jealous of you.. thats the problem.

and i don't mean little ims here and there.. i mean at least 1000 ims at one time.. i hate those programs with a passion.. i wonder if theres some kind of defense or if i can make it extremely difficult for them to try and boot me.. OR IF I CAN CRASH THEIRS. Lol im just mad.. mostly because i can't do it!!!!!

Edited by Absorb, 20 August 2005 - 02:06 PM.