Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU at 100%

• Please log in to reply

lazaros

lazaros

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hi! I am new here!

I have a problem these days. First of all i have windows xp with sp2 and all security updates installed. i did format on pc 15 days ago.

my computer specs are : Pentium IV 2,02 GHz, 768mbs ram and ATI Radeon 9550 GE.

when i play games like UT 2004, EMPIRE EARTH II etc the CPU goes to 100%! also that happens when i see DVD and videos, or when i run firefox and other programms.. I don't know why..

with my previous card ( 3d blaster mx 420 ) i could play UT 2004 without any problems..

I don't know why how that problem exists.. i check for viruses,trojans,adwares but i have nothing..

i have Intel Application Accelerator installed. also i have the latest drivers for my card.

i made many changes on registry, for faster startup and shutdown etc. but i don't think that the problem come from that..

also see that picture. i don't know if the problem caused by that.

soz for my english but i am from Greece.

Please help me..

:tazz: :)

Attached Thumbnails

• error.JPG

Edited by lazaros, 20 August 2005 - 06:09 AM.

Advertisements

lazaros

lazaros

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
i think that the problem is the wrong configuration of my radeon..

Edited by lazaros, 20 August 2005 - 07:59 AM.

lazaros

lazaros

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
about the image i want to tell me a url where i can download the drivers for the ACPI Uniprocessor PC for Pentium IV.

i haven't got already drivers? why in the picture says location unknown and the windows about device usage doesn't work..

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
It's common for your CPU to reach 100% during game play. I would guess your old video card was too slow for your system and the CPU was never taxed. With the new card now your performance is CPU bound.

You can find the latest ATI drivers for WinXP here:
https://support.ati....ge&folderID=293

lazaros

lazaros

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
i already have the newest drivers for my card. i think that the options on ati control need changing.. but which options? can someone help me?

I would guess your old video card was too slow for your system and the CPU was never taxed. With the new card now your performance is CPU bound.

what do you mean? by the time i bought a better card i have to play games better than before.. i tested to play in 800x600 with no details and other effects but the same thing again!! i can't play.. it lags a lot..

* it lags not all time but for examble if i play 20 minutes, lags for 10 minutes.. *

also, what about the image? do i have ACPI drivers for my pc or not?

Edited by lazaros, 20 August 2005 - 10:15 AM.

Press2Esc

Press2Esc

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Your ACPI driver is fine... However, the same is not true for a USB device and your floppy drive.

Run Task Manager to determine what process is using your CPU resources...
>> at Processes (tab), click on the CPU heading to toggle/sort your process list by the highest application (Image Name) usage.. :tazz:

This is where you should looking at for the system hog..

P2E

about the image i want to tell me a url where i can download the drivers for the ACPI Uniprocessor PC for Pentium IV.

i haven't got already drivers? why in the picture says location unknown and the windows about device usage doesn't work..

View Post

lazaros

lazaros

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Run Task Manager to determine what process is using your CPU resources...
>> at Processes (tab), click on the CPU heading to toggle/sort your process list by the highest application (Image Name) usage.. ph34r.gif

i said already that. when i play Unreal tournament UT.exe is the highest when i play FIFA fifa2005.exe is the highest etc.. i haven't got any virus or trojan.. and i am sure that my card causes all that! can someone tell me the right configuration for my card to play games?

floppy and usb device are fine. when i took the screenshot i didn't installed them..