Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network connected but no internet

• Please log in to reply

Benevenagh

Benevenagh

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi. I've been using a Netgear DG834G v2 router/modem for about a year now but recently I've started having lots of problems connecting to the internet through wireless.

There doesn't seem to be a problem with the ethernet connection and all the speed tests tell me it's whizzing along!

But if I try to connect my laptop it often refuses (though sometimes it will work).

Sometimes it will connect my anti-virus update program and my non-Hotmail emails can get through, but everytime I try to log on to MSN Messenger or IE, it tries to start a dial-up connection. I've even got the laptop sitting next to the router, but still no joy!

The annoying thing is that sometimes it works fine and I can't see how things are changing. Is this something obvious like I have a bad broadband connection or something? I've trialled it on both my home (BT) line and business (Bulldog) phone lines but same result on both.

I've done the usual stuff like disabling security on the network etc. The laptop is an HP with built-in wireless, though I sometimes use my old Dell laptop with a Netgear USB wireless connection which does seem to work more often than the HP.

Getting a bit confused.... :tazz:

Advertisements

chicagotech

chicagotech

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
bad connection, router or MTU. check this page for MTU issue.

troubleshooting ie issues
Can't run IE Can't access some web sites Can’t access the Internet via USB after
enabling NIC for network Can't retrieve e-mail from Hotmail through Outlook ...
http://www.chicagote...eshootingie.htm