Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

icons descriptor box transparent

• Please log in to reply

4fourte

4fourte

• Pip
  • 7 posts
OK! I give up ! My desktop icons all have descriptions under them, but the box background is the color set for the desktop. short and sweet, how do i get the box to have no color,tranparent, just the font no box of color. knowwhatimeangene!

I've been trying to get this back for a year.

running xp sp2 latest updates
pentium 4 3.06 ghz 533fsb
sis655 chipset
1g ddr pc3200 dual channel
too many hard drives (5)
dual plextors 16x burners
ati all in wonder 256 vidieo card
gigabyte GA-SINXP1394
Adaptec pci ide controller card

help
4fourte :tazz: :) :)

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Download TransIco.
Extract the .exe from the zip file. Choose which color you want to keep transparent.

Edited by darth_ash, 20 August 2005 - 06:29 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi 4fourte...Welcome to G2G!

This setting can be set through the control panel...Click "Start" and choose "Control Panel"...Double Click "System" and then the "Advanced" tab...In the "Performance" box click the "Settings" button...Tick the box next to "Let Windows choose what's best for my computer"...Click "Apply" then "Ok".

wannabe1

4fourte

4fourte

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
thanks wannabe1 i did every thing you said except the last part "let windows choose whats best...". Because the setting were as you stated already. so i just ticked the one about best apearance and it was done, but now the fonts have a drop shadow. happy nonetheless!!!! :tazz:

thanks to all
4fourte :) :) :)

wish i could make cool signatures and stuff.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi 4fourte...

Go back into the control panel settings as explained above and in the box below the "radio buttons", scroll down to "Use drop down shadows for icon labels on the desktop" and remove the tick in the box next to it...apply the change.

Glad I could be of assistance! :tazz:

wannabe1

4fourte

4fourte

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Hi 4fourte...

Go back into the control panel settings as explained above and in the box below the "radio buttons", scroll down to "Use drop down shadows for icon labels on the desktop" and remove the tick in the box next to it...apply the change.

Glad I could be of assistance!  :tazz:

wannabe1

View Post

oh boy! guess what happened, the colored boxes came back! ticked let windows... and icon fonts w/ drop shadow, but transparent returned. ticked best performance , windows got ugly looking and dull, also shut down ie. tick let windows choose ... best. I'll live with that.

i am having fun with this, thanks much!
I'm easy. :)

4fourte

4fourte

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
hello I'm back
think i've gottit!
based on my last setttings, add right click the desktop, properties, apperance,effects, tick use the following method to smooth edges of screen fonts, choose standard. ok all the way out then trace your way back in and untick that same box. note the drop shadow disappeared even before i unticked the box. just wondered what would happen if it were not ticked(checked).

thats all folks! :tazz: :) :)