Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to set up printer from a wireless laptop

• Please log in to reply

m61376

m61376

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi- if anyone could give me instructions geared for dummies I'd really appreciate it. This is my set-up: desktop running XP Pro connected to wireless router and cable modem. The printer is directly connected to the desktop unit. I have a laptop connecting to the network via wireless.
My friend suggested that I buy a DP-301U - D-link print server, which I did. But now I am confused. Is this the right thing, or should I have bought a wireless print server? Or do a need a print server at all?
In case it makes a difference, I always leave my desktop on. I am looking to be able to print directly from my laptop.
Thanks in advance for your help....

Advertisements

katkat92

katkat92

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
First you will need to go to the desktop and make sure you tell it to allow the printer to be shared (you can right click the printer and go to sharing) then make sure your firewall is set-up to allow the printer to be shared on the network. Then go to your laptop and find the desktop on the network, once you can see both machines, you can go to the add printer function on your laptop and go through the wizzard to set-up a network printer. This should be a breeze with XP, the laptop will install the correct drivers to share the printer.

Hope this helps. :tazz: