Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Ports

• Please log in to reply

desireerandolph

desireerandolph

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,
I have two USB ports in the front of my CPU and neither one works. One of them won't even allow a plug to go in and the other isn't recognized. I went into Hardware Device Manager and it says they are all working. I even tried reinstalling and that didn't work. Although I don't know which is which so I did them all. There were two small colored wires hanging our the back of my computer so I plugged them into to the colored coordinated outlets thinking that would do it, but that didn't work either. HELP.
DLR

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic: Front USB Ports do not work
Date: 20th AUG- 2005

Need just a tad bit more info on your computer . . . . . Is it a Desktop – Tower – Laptop ? and the Following:

(1) – Go to the following Web Site Link & Download the FREE [EVEREST] – Home Edition Program..

http://www.lavalys.com/

(2) – Install & Run [EVEREST]
(3) – Expand [COMPUTER] Folder
(4) – Left Click on [SUMMARY] Folder
(5) – Post back following Information:

(1) Operating System
(2) Service Pack
(3) CPU
(4) Motherboard:
A – Name
B – Model Number
C – Chipset
D – BIOS set
(5) Input Info
A – Keyboard Info – ALL
B – Mouse Info – ALL
(6) Peripherals Info
A – Printer Info – ALL
B – ALL USB INFO: - (that is listed)
(6) – Give more description of the [COLORRD COORDINATED OUTLETS] – Do they appear to be
Sound related [PHONE JACKS] – Are they : Blue – Green – Pink - ?? What color are they??
(7) – Do the Front USB Connections look IDENTICAL? – Does 1 look like a Phone Jack or does it
look like a USB Connection – but just smaller & fatter – and has 2 rows of (3-pins)
And where about in the back are “Sticking OUT” -
(8) – What do you mean by REINSTALLING THEM??- Is this an EXPANSION USB CARD that you
have added to your system?? IF so Give NAME – MODEL NUMBER – and did you also added
these to the FRONT?? – IF SO DID YOU WIRE THEM UP??
(9) – How old is Computer??
(10) Have you UPGRADED this Computer from WIN-9X??
(11) How many USB devices/peripherals do you have?

Thank You,
Jack123

desireerandolph

desireerandolph

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi Jack,
Thanks for the reply.
Okay, here goes: I think I'm putting them under the correct places it's all Greek to me.
Cybertron Tower - XP Professional
OS Service Pack -
Direct X - 4.09.00.0902(DirectX 9.0b)
CPU Unknown, 1583 MHz, (9.5X167)2300+
PCCHIPS M863G(2PCI, 1 AGP, 1 CNR, 1 DDR DIMM, AUDIO VIDEO LAN)
Chipset - SiS 741 GX
BIOS Set - AMI (08/27/04)
Keyboard - Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse - HID Compliant Mouse
Peripherals:
Intuit Internal Printer
Lexmark 4300 Series
Lexmark Fax
USB Info: 5 in back, 2 in front (w/1 questionable) they are the same size but the one below has two flat silver prongs on each side in the opening preventing anything from plugging into it, but it has the USB symbol underneath it.
-USB1 Controller SiS 7001 PCI-USB Open Host Controller
-USB1 Controller SiS 7001 PCI-USB Open Host Controller
-USB2 Controller SiS 7002 USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller
-USB Device Lexmark 4300 series
-USB Device USB Composit Device
-USB Device USB Human Interface Device
-USB Device ditto on above
-USB Device USB Mass Storage Device
-USB Device Printing Support

The two small colored cords are light green and a peachy light pink, the end looks just like the speaker connection which is right next to them.

I don't have an expansion, when I said I reinstalled them, I meant I went to the Device Manager and did it there. I don't have any paperwork or software with this computer. It was shipped to me from someone who bought it and then never used it, but they sent nothing else with it. I didn't upgrade anything on the computer, it's as it came, I only installed the basic software.

The only periphials (I think this is what you mean) are the mouse, keyboard and printer. My camera won't work on any of the USB ports now, it at least worked on the back ones before. I hope you can help me with this.
DLR

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic: Front USB Ports do not work
Date: 21st AUG- 2005

Ok- Here is some Information & Web Sites pertaining to your Computer:

(1)- Printer:
Is Printer connected to a USB PORT? – Which One – Does it function – All Functions?
Did it come with Computer or did you install it? If you need info on Lexmark Printer – Here is Web Site Link:

http://www.lexmark.c...g/eng/Main.html

Motherboard: - Do you have Installation CDs for Motherboard & Video Card? – If you do then- Browse the CD – The Manual & other info may be on it – Or see following:

(2)- Information on PCCHIPS M8636G Motherboard – Web Site Link:

http://www.pcchips.c...enuID=0&LanID=0

(3)- Specification Link:
http://www.pcchips.c...e=Specification

(4)- Manual pdf File Download
http://211.99.203.13...863AG-G_15D.pdf

(5)- I could not find too much on the Case – Perhaps there may be more info [MODEL #] on the case itself – If you could Post any info on it – I may be able to research more –

(6)- Are both Keyboard & Mouse Wireless? If not are they USB or PS2 – And do they Function Properly – If USB – what ports are used? – Does Keyboard contain 2 USB Ports? (IN REAR)

(7)- Did you Install WIN 2000 XP – Or was it already installed for you? – What do you mean by “The basic Software”?

(8)- SERVICE PACKS 1 & 2:
Looks as if you should install the Service Packs (1) & (2). You may want to make that your [Next Post] as a new subject ( I do not think that I could be the person to lead you thru that??
Service Pack 1 has drivers for USB – (This is why I asked if WIN 2000 XP is an UPGRADE)

(9)- AUDIO CONNECTIONS:
The wires that were hanging loose – Are they attached to a Headset & MIC? or Tape Player/ Audio Device? – Correct Audio Connections are:
(1) – Light Blue – [LINE IN] – From Audio Device
(2) – Lime – [LINE OUT] – Connects to Speaker or Headset
(3) – Pink – [MIC] – Connects to a Microphone
From your last Post – Appears that Blue – [LINE IN] & Lime – {LINE OUT] may be reversed –
Or your terminology – [SPEAKER] is in error.

(10)- USB Ports – General Information:
· There are several BIOS SETTINGS
· REAR PORTS are more reliable because they are HARD CONNECTED to motherboard. via 90° Connectors
· FRONT PORTS usually have wiring problems – either are not connected or contain error/s in wiring – plus wiring is easily knocked/bumped off/loose
· There are motherboard Jumpers Installed – that need to be Verified –
· Need to install the latest DRIVERS for OS & SP installed – and must load & install in proper order before connecting device
· USB generally come in Pairs – Do you have actually have 5 REAR PORTS? or is one of them really a RJ-45 LAN PORT? or IEEE 1394 PORT – If there really are 5 – then are there – 3 in a horizontal row in an EXPANSION SLOT?
· Biggest problem with a USB Digital Camera is not having latest Driver installed

The Plan is:

(1)- To check USB BIOS Settings that they are [ENABLED] & [ENHANCED] & that
[PLUG & PLAY] is ENABLED
(2)- Find out which ports are working
(3)- Find latest drivers for USB devices that are not working
(4)- If Printer is USB – Try all the PORTS with it – (to test which ports work)
(5)- Properly Load & Install drivers
(6)- Will probably have to open case & inspect USB Wiring & JUMPERS – This info
will be in the MANUAL that you can download from:

http://211.99.203.13...863AG-G_15D.pdf

Digest all of this & Post back findings and questions – then we will fix what ever – we find wrong. How long have USB been not working – Have you received any M$ WINDOWS UPDATES recently or just prior to problem?

See – the way it works –
I ask enough questions – sooner or later – The clue is unmasked!
And Viola! – YOU fix it – I just lead you there!! – Usually it something simple – but the harder ones have – 2 simple something’s –

The good thing – You learn more about your computer –
Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 21 August 2005 - 10:19 PM.