Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP OS acting screwy

• Please log in to reply

wapshot1

wapshot1

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Greetings - Thanks to a saint over in your malware forum, I've just succeeded in knocking out a nasty malware/adware infection. But I still have OS issues.

EVery now and then, my machine tells me that it's recovered from a serious system error, and do I want to send an error report?

Also, last night I installed a new virus scanner and (a) even though it said it was installed, it was not to be found on the Start Menu or Add/Remove New Programs; and (b) when I tried to remove the folder from the C:\Program Files, it said I didn't have the right to access it, and to make sure the disk/folder was not full/write-protected. I have the same problem with two other program folders, which I also cannot remove.

I'm assuming I should follow the instructions in the pinned file in this forum on repairing XP - is this correct?

-Benjamin

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,504 posts
Unless you can provide some more details on the specific errors you're getting a repair install seems reasonable, and should help.

wapshot1

wapshot1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thanks. As far as specific errors, the main problem is that it's restarting while running -- lately, all I run are spyware and antivirus programs, but the system is no clean. Windows tells me it's recovered from a serious system error, and it appears to run normally. Or, it just now restarted and then when it did, it told me Windows Explorer had encountered a serious error and needed to close.

Does this affect your opinion?