Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Printer Issue

• Please log in to reply

Slippaz

Slippaz

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Several months ago I tried to print a document on my laptop, and there was an error with it. Windows wouldn't let me delete it, and I couldn't get it to print, so there was no way for me to use that printer on my laptop any more. I have another printer connected to a desktop (networked) so I've just been using that since then, but now I'm about to go away to school, and my parents are keeping the desktop's printer. I tried re-installing the one that had a problem, but when I re-install the printer the document is still there. Is there any way to get rid of it, or can I just never use that model of printer on my laptop again....

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
In printers and faxes, right click the printer then cancel all documents

Right click the taskbar then task manager, click the processes tab and end any for the printer

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
(1) - Use Windows Explorer
(2) - Locate Document - Probably in [MY DOCUMENTS]
(3) - Right Click [Document] File & Click on [PROPERTIES]
(4) - See if [READ ONLY] is checked? -- If it is - Then (Uncheck it)

If this did not work - - then Post back the circumstances dealing with - "There was an ERROR with it" - Sounds as if you are dealing with a [BACKUP] Copy of Document - Your computer will not let you work with it while it is still a BACKUP - when associated printer is set as default

Backup Files are hidden/burried inside APPLICATION'S Folder. AND usually BACKUP FILES (in error) will be [GRAYED OUT] indicating an error pending.

This is what you need to locate & repair - Maybe use your APPLICATION Help features on AUTO-BACKUP Files -

Did computer reboot on you while working with document & you did not get a chance to save it - This backup copy may be the only copy of file & Computer is going to protect it - NO MATTER WHAT!!

Does this File/document appear every time you turn computer on??

See if you can [SAVE AS] this file with (a -1) added to its name & change its FILE TYPE from backup to your normal document type.

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 20 August 2005 - 11:02 AM.

Slippaz

Slippaz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Actually the document was an HTML file that I was printing off the internet, so I dont have a copy of it anywhere on the computer. Sorry for not explaining that earlier, I didn't think of it mattering so much. What happened was that when it was printing the HTML file the message error appeared. I tried to cancel the printing but now it just locks up with "Deleting - Printing" in the status column.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Have you cleared your Internet Files out?? or did you place the file in [FAVORITES]? - It seems like you may still have a link or copy somewhere -

Did you try the suggestion from Keith? The printer should have a [CANCEL] Button also. - Try using that cancel

Do you remember any of wording or Title words - enough to use a [SEARCH] for Document to ferret it out? -

Usually pulling plug on Printer is effective.

Think the Event log may shed a clue?

Just throwing against the wall & seeing what sticks
Jack123

EDIT: Did you check Internet History? - Most people do not clear that -

Edited by Jack123, 20 August 2005 - 02:59 PM.

Slippaz

Slippaz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The problem occured on the first of April according to the printer status thing, so the internet history would have cleared itself. The title of the file (address in this case) is still showing in the printer status, but I tried a search and didn't find it.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Go ONLINE - Click on Address or [Copy] & [Paste] to retrieve the Document & see if that can make the printer happy.

What is MFG & Model Number of printer & what is Interface? Also [Copy] & [Paste] & Post link here.

Did you do a Anti Virus Scan on Laptop & Scanned with Ad aware & anti spy ware?

Jack123