Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Re-Install Win 98 when the Desktop is inaccessible

• Please log in to reply

squitter

squitter

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am using my brothers Compaq Laptop here in Bosnia. I booted it up one morning and found that when I get to the desktop I get an error message saying basically that windows will not work. I click on Start and it freezes, and it acts the same way when I click on anything else on the desktop.

I tried booting it up in safe mode, windows will recognize CD-ROM drive but will not asign a drive letter so I can't reload WIN 98 from CD. I was told that the only way I will be able to re-oad WIn 98 will be is to use the stratup floppy and connect an external CD-ROM through the paralell port, which of course I don't have.

Can anyone else figure ouit how I can reload Windows?

Thanks

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Welcome squitter <_<

Download a boot floppy from http://www.bootdisk.com

Before you reinstall Windows, start your computer with the boot floppy and type this: c:\windows\command\scanreg /restore Select a date before the problem began.