Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Temporary Internet Files Folder

• Please log in to reply

metaxy6

metaxy6

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Is there any good reason not to reguarly empty the Temporary Internet Files Folder?

This is a monster for me, as I noticed when running a scan before using CleanUp - there were literally tens of thousands of files!

I went to Internet Options and checked 'empty temorary internet files folder when browser is closed' but I don't think this is working.

So, does it make sense to manually empty it?

Advertisements

cleverboy12

cleverboy12

• PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
yh but it takes quite a bit of time to do it manually :tazz:

metaxy6

metaxy6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
why not just select all -> delete?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Tools, internet options, advanced, tick empty temporary internet files folder when the browser is closed, click apply, close then re-open the browser

metaxy6

metaxy6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
I tried this, but it doesn't work. Perhaps I just fail at Internet Options, as I'm unable to enable ActiveX Controls either.

In both cases, I tick the option, click ok, close IE and reopen it. Though the settings are where I put them, the commands are not carried out. So, my temp internet files folder is still not emptying at the close of each session.

Anyways, can I safely delete the temp internet files manually by going into the folder and doing a select all -> delete ?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can do it that way

Have you set the tabs to default for active X