Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

FireFox tabbed browsing

• Please log in to reply

MajorFatCat

MajorFatCat

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
Hello all. This is my first question on GeeksToGo, so here goes. How can i set up FireFox so that it opens a new TAB when clicking on a link instead of a new WINDOW? This question may sound strange, but I hate having 10 windows open at once. I like it when there's only 1 open, with multiple tabs of course. Anyone have an idea how to set it this way?

:tazz:

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
When you right-click a weblink, choose the second option in the list ("Open link in new tab"), instead of the first option which opens a new window.

MajorFatCat

MajorFatCat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
I can do that, yes. But is there a setting somewhere that it automatically goes into a tab? It's annoying to right-click all the time.

:tazz:

keithy397

keithy397

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
There are limited setting in the Tools > Options menu for tabbed browsing which you can tweak.

If you want real control over the tabbed browsing try this little extension called Tab Mix Plus. It is beta but will be released as a final version very shortly. This version is actually an enhanced version of a stable product created by someone else who could no longer spend the time maintaining it.

You should tweak the browser settings in Tools > Options as well as TMP to prevent conflict.