Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How does bios flashing work?

• Please log in to reply

ziggyzaggy

ziggyzaggy

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello all.

I was wondering how flashing a bios works. I see people have all sorts of problems with motherboards and people a lot of the time say "flash your bios with the latest firmware" or something like that. The thing is people have problems like their processor not being compatible with the motherboard until they flash it. How does that work, surely if you do the bios flahsing by putting a floppy disk in your computer and runningdos or whatever is needed for the flash tool, would you not need the processor for that in the first place?

I'm guessing i've got confused somewhere but i just can't seem to find anywhere how it all happens.

Cheers,

Ziggyzaggy :tazz: :) :)

Advertisements

NullWolf

NullWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

What does "flashing the BIOS" mean?

This BIOS software is in some regards like other software. There are newer versions available that contain updates, enhanced, features, new features, and bug fixes. It is possible to install newer BIOS versions and upgrade, but the process is different from upgrading regular software that's installed on your computer. The BIOS software is not stored on the hard drive, but in a chip on the motherboard. To erase the software on the chip and program it with a newer software version you need to use a special program called a flash utility, and the process of performing the upgrade is called flashing the BIOS.

I'm sure someone else will come along and explain Flash ROM, EEPROMs etc. :tazz:

Edited by NullWolf, 20 August 2005 - 01:59 PM.

ziggyzaggy

ziggyzaggy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I'm sure someone else will come along and explain Flash ROM, EEPROMs etc. :tazz:

View Post

I kind of understand that stuff in your quote but how can you flash a bios to make your motherboard work with your processor, cos surely youwill need the processor to be working in the first place in order to flash the bios.

Cheers, :) :) :)

NullWolf

NullWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
You generally boot from a floppy and then have a flash utility from your BIOS manufacturer.

When you run the utility, it'll ckear your BIOS and update it to the version in the utility.

You normally don't have to FLASH a BIOS to make your processor work.
You may have to flash it to make it work completely, or to fix "bugs" etc...

*pokes around* Someone here can explain this better I know...