Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer Crashing and ASUS K8S-MS MOBO

• Please log in to reply

foxylady

foxylady

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hello,

I am having problems with my new computer but i will just start with one/two queries first. I downloaded MAXPower from Maxtor to test all my hard drives in two computers. Out of four, three are either failing or failed the Burn in Test or the advanced test ..... not a happy bunny :tazz: All Maxtor Drives BTW of course.

I currently have a Maxtor 120GB, less than 4 months old. This is OK.

My mobo is ASUS K8S-MX, and i would like to use another make of harddrive when i get a new one as i have lost confidence in Maxtor. The Bios is version 1010 ( i may upgrade it soon). Since this machine has been built i have problems with it just crashing suddenly, or when using programs the program just vanishes and closes , i reopen the program and all my pictures ie in Paint shop pro, appear again. OR, the computer just shuts down and i have to reboot. It also takes ages to boot up.

I think its either a hardware conflict or a hardware/software/ BIOS conflict and i can't fathom out where best to start.

Spec is
HD Maxtor 120bg 7200 Ultra-ATA/133 (only one hard drive at the moment)
memory 1gb
MOBO ASUS k8s-mx
CPU Amd Sempron 3000+ (1800 mhx 9x200)
Nvidia GeForce FX5500 (256mb)

The temperature averages
MOBO 34c/93f
CPU 30c/84f
HD 35c/86f

What should i be looking at to make the system stable
What hard drive/s should i be looking to buy ( no more than a 120gb or 2 x 80gb) NOT MAXTOR.

Thanks anyone
Wendy :)

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. The temps you indicate look ok. Random reboots are usually due to heat , memory or driver issues or the power supply. You could test the memory with Memtest86+ (http://www.memtest.org/). As for driver issues, look at the event log and see if it gives you a clue as to what may be causing this. Go to start, my computer, right click manage and view the event viewer. Look for ones with a red x corresponding with the reboot time. Right click on one, view properties for details. You can also send a report to M$ and view their knowledge base for additional information and possible solutions. Once you have ruled out or otherwise addressed these issues, next step is to evaluate your power supply. The best resource I have found for this is at
http://www.hardforum...isplay.php?f=93
See the sticky posts at the top.

Now the simple question, what hd? I have had good experience with Western Digital, Samsung and Seagate. Currently I have several Western Digital and one each Samsung and Seagate. I owned a Maxtor once...note that I don't have any now!

foxylady

foxylady

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks Austin-o

Comments noted about hard drives :-)

Now comes the silly bit... how do i use the memtest86+, sorry to sound like a thicko but where do i start on that one please..

BTW the power supply is 400w in a new case and it doesn't seem to get too hot but i will check that one out too.

As a matter of interest i have just plugged in a new keyboard that i bought late last year, for some reason it stopped working but i plugged it in to try it out before i was going to bin it and it worked. It is USB, also when i rebooted after unplugging the old keyboard (not usb) my pc booted up in 45 secs instead of over two minutes. Now i wonder if the old keyboard was a problem on this machine previously ... mmmm

Thanks
Wendy

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
The memtest86+ web site should tell you how to use it. A simple summary, you download it, put it on a cd, put the cd in the drive and re-boot the machine. It will boot up to a screen with memtest running. Let it make at least 3 complete passes (each full test cycle is a pass). It is good to let it run longer for more conclusive results to rule it out as the cause. The screen will show each test, any errors, and keep track of the passes. The instructions at the bottom will tell you how to stop the test (I think it is by pressing esc).

Power supply manufacturers typically over state the rating of their product. The link I gave you to the power supply forum will give all of the details. I had a random reboot problem on my own system that I had to troublehoot. On the surface it looked like my video driver was the cause. I updated the driver and still had the problem. It turned out my power supply was the cause. It was a 420 W Raidmax (on the list of not so good power supplies) that came with the case. I used the power supply calculator (also can be found via the link I gave you) and figured that my system, as configured at the time, needed 320 watts. Deducting the 30% (over-statement factor) my 420 W PSU was only capable of 294 watts. I replaced it with a good Fortron 530 watt PSU. Reboot problem solved. There are resources available to help you figure this out. Just work your way through it to rule out each possible cause.

foxylady

foxylady

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thankyou so much for your help. The reassurance you gave me about the memtest helps alot as i was worried that i may do it wrong. Sometimes someone just giving a few instructions in plain English helps ( like you did).

I will try out what you recommend and as this will take me time over the next week, i will come back if i get no joy.

Just to let you know i changed my keyboard the other day and now my machine boots up in about 45secs instead of 120sec+. Tonight, at computer club, i am going to update the BIOS and see how we go from there too.

Again thanks for the help. :tazz:

Wendy