Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Copy/Cut and Paste Problems

• Please log in to reply

qbogus

qbogus

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok this is a very weird thing I have never experienced before. I just received a new laptop and am running Windows XP Professional that came with it (Acer). Everything is fine except I have problems copying/cutting and pasting. I cannot paste if I move around too much in Windows Exploer or open more programs, it seems the copied data "falls" out of the clipboard. For instance I want to copy a file from My Documents to C:\Example Folder\. I select the file, copy, and navigate with the Back button to return to the C:\ in windows exploer, open the "Example Folder" and try to paste. Nothing happens. However if I open two Windows Explorers, one in My Documents and the other in the "Example Folder" I can copy. Or if I navigate directly to the Example folder by typing it in GO TO bar, the file copies. It seems if I click the Back button too much I erase the file in the clipboard and it returns to its original location.

I have also had problems copying text from notepad to Firefox or any Internet Exploer that is. If I directly copy from the notepad into Firefox it works. However only once. I cannot paste multiple texts sometimes. If I change between my applications too much before I paste, I lose the information. However I can copy and paste the same line of text in notepad endlessly if I don't change programs. I am very confused with this. Could it be the Windows XP I received just has a bug there? If so shoud I reinstall Windows ontop of the current one, preferably without removing any programs from my C: partition? (can this be done while in windows?). I do'nt think it's a problem with my RAM since no other memory problems have been encountered.

Thanks for your time. I have never ran into/heard of a problem like this before.

Edited by qbogus, 20 August 2005 - 01:58 PM.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
For starters, open Task Manager and check your memory comittment against your available memory. Laptop memory is expensive and many new ones don't come with enough.

qbogus

qbogus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
My laptop comes shipped with 1 Gig DDR 333 RAM (it's a Turion so DDR2 isn't supported), and I'm sure that's enough for. Normally I run RM Clock and undervolt my 2 ghz down to 800 mhz to reduce heat. I'm pretty sure that does not affect my ram. I opened up Task Manager, and this is with 3 torrent files downloading, I have 49 Processes and this is the info I found (not sure what you need):

Commit Charge of 553M / 2458M
Physical Memory Total 1047024; Available 156780; System Cache 598172
Kernel Memory Total 86424; Paged 57420; Nonpaged 28968
Commit Charge Total 581040; Limit 2517200; Peak 655736

I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for. MS Support Webpages redirected me to Performance under Administrative Tools and here's what I found (I'm not sure if this is correct):

% of Committed Bytes: 23.582
Commited Bytes: 605000000 (roughly)
Available Bytes: 147418915
or
Available MBytes: 142
Commit Limit: 2577612800

I'm not sure what you can do with these numbers, but I'm pretty sure I have enough RAM with 1024 installed.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You have plenty of memory. That's not the problem.

qbogus

qbogus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Is there an XP setting to clear the Copy/Paste memory after a certain time or unrelated movements. If I copy something and navigate around in Windows Explorer it disappears. If I go straight to the place and copy, it's fine. Any memory configs/settings?

qbogus

qbogus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I called my computer manufacturer's support and they led me into the System 32 folder and the clipbrd.exe program. Whenever I copied a file it became displayed on the clipboard program however one navigation within My Computer removed it. The idea the tech supporter had was that Office may have adjusted/damaged the clipboard settings for Windows to match it's Office Clipboard. He suggested uninstalling Office and seeing if it fixes the problem. It may not, which in that case the only thing he could think of was formatting, which I'm not really inclined to doing. He said he didn't know how to possibly adjust the file Office had changed, if anyone has any ideas I'm open.

Edited by qbogus, 21 August 2005 - 02:06 PM.

qbogus

qbogus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
PROBLEM SOLVED:

I realized that whenever I double-clicked with my mouse, even not on a folder my Clipboard (clipbrd.exe in System32) cleared. I installed a program called iFinger some time back that implements dictionaries to look up words. Default settings in the program search the word that is highlighted, usually by a double click. This often happened unintentionally when I was in eMule or any P2P service and double clicked a file, the eMule address would load in the iFinger box. I disabled iFinger's double-click function and now I can click anywhere and not have my information removed. Anyone with a program that looks up words when double clicked, be aware of this issue. I think iFinger is a great program but I almost ended up formatting my system to remedy this problem.

Sorry to take your time, but incase you have a program like this. Be aware.

Edited by qbogus, 21 August 2005 - 08:16 PM.