Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

errors after format

• Please log in to reply

halfdollarlotto

halfdollarlotto

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi im new to here and had a problem thats been troubling me for months..

i attempted to build a system a while back and it has given me way more trouble than its worth.

the hardware -
ATI X800 Pro
3.2Ghz Intel P4 CPU
512 RAM x 2
120G SATA HD
450WATT PSU

the problem- :)

***note that i do install all of the latest drivers for the hardware before testing games***

i first installed xp on it and it did run better than my previous system, but games(which should have be the most obvious and drastic improvement) were running worse than the old computer.

1. after trying everthing that i could to figure out the reason it was doing so badly to no avail, i just reformatted.
2. after a fresh install of xp it did the same thing.
3. i formatted again.
4. this time around i got all sorts of errors saying that windows could not find files during the installation. the installation finished and the same problem persisted.
5. (i reformatted and reistalled many times to the same result)
6. i got xp pro and installed it after a format
7. no errors occured during the installation and everything seemed fine until windows started. the first thing message i got was that the "registry had to be recovered from an alternate copy". then the drwatson postmortem debugger error popped up and explorer.exe never started...
8. i reformatted and reinstalled once again except this time i got all sorts of errors during the installation saying that it could not find files so often that i couldnt finish installing it.
9. i give up and need help :tazz:

its a legit copy of windows
any help would mean the world to me :)

unfortunately i cant give a hjt log anything because i cant start or install windows.

Edited by halfdollarlotto, 20 August 2005 - 01:59 PM.

Advertisements

Jarenien

Jarenien

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Maybe for some reason the 'format' of your hard drive is leaving some information behind that is playing havoc with windows xp. I would suggest that you download Seagate's hard drive utility tool and have it do a full 'zeroing' of your hard drive, and then try to reinstall. this may help, it may not, could just be that you have a bad hard drive. it happens

good luck to ya!

Jarenien

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
when you say format, do you mean format or repartition?