Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

connect to open network

• Please log in to reply

t-man

t-man

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
I am trying to connect to an open/unsecure network and view the workgroup computers. I can view my own computer but not the other ones, I can not phisically access these computers. Does anybody know antother way to view the workgroup computers?
T-man

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Before I help - Is this your Workgroupe or is this a neighbors.

t-man

t-man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
this is my workgroup, but i do not know how to view the workgroup computers.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Sorry so long on the reply.. i help out here on my days off from work.. First off are you using XP or 98.. your profile says both...

If using xp to view all available computers on your network, provided you have already ran the network setup wizard and assigned a name and Group to the PC's you are trying to view you just simply double click on the my computer icon then on the window that opens you select "My Network Places" over in the column on the left. then under network tasks click on the view workgroup computers link.

If you have not ran the network wizard, or you are still unable to see any other computers other than the one you are using post back and let me know and I can run you through it if you need further help.

t-man

t-man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
thanks that worked and it was easy to follow.
thanks again,
t-man

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

I am trying to connect to an open/unsecure network and view the workgroup computers. I can view my own computer but not the other ones, I can not phisically access these computers.  Does anybody know antother way to view the workgroup computers?
T-man

View Post

why don't you have physical access to the other computers? you'll kind of need to be able to touch the other machines to fix any issues with the network

t-man

t-man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
oh. sorry i just figured out how to connect to the network ang view the workgroup.
Thanks,
t-man