Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Network - HELP!

• Please log in to reply

emz_89

emz_89

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,

I really hope some one here can help me as I am now at a complete loss :tazz:

I have two computers, one desktop and one laptop. I use a router to connect my laptop to the internet.

I had no problems what so ever with the wireless network connection for the first about 12 months of buying the laptop and router! But .. about 3 months ago I have started to experience intermittent network problems.

The problems are very random and I can't see a pattern to them. Sometimes when I turn on my laptop it will connection to the wireless connection with absolutely no problems, sometimes when I turn it on I will be able to access the internet fine, but it continuously says "Acquiring network address". Then sometimes when I turn it on it has a red cross through the little screen thing and says it can't find a connection at all, even though it can see my network for the life of it, it simply won't connect!!

I have had a professional computer technician round to look at the problem, and he said all the setting on the laptop are correct, all the software is installed properly, he could only think that the router had packed in. So he suggested we buy a new router, as that's the only thing that could be stopping the connection.

Here we are, we had a brand spanking new router installed last week, by the same technician .. and what do you know! The darn problem is still there! When I telephoned the technician to tell him the problem hasn't gone away, he came and looked and my computers and router fully again, and said he really has no idea, and said he couldn't help anymore!! I don't know much about computers at all, so theres no chance of me trying to fix it myself, but I don't know what to do right now!!

Sorry this is so long, but it couldn't be shorted.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you. Emma. :)

Advertisements

NetworkAdmin

NetworkAdmin

• Pip
  • 5 posts
So you just bought a new wireless? Can you connect to the internet through just a ethernet port, if not, try to look at the wireless card.

torr10

torr10

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
There were some other posts on here before about a similar problem. They had an error message. Something about not connectable.

If you have that error message do a search on it. There was some good info on here about that.

Cough

Cough

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Try Winsockxpfix.exe

Also ensure ipconfig /all shows connection as "hybrid"

Edited by Cough, 31 August 2005 - 03:04 PM.

ldbonner

ldbonner

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
I am experiencing the similar problem. My laptop "SEES" the network, but wont access for the life of me.

I try to ipconfig /all in the command line, and nothing happens.

I will most likely start my own thread.

Cough

Cough

• Pip
  • 8 posts

I am experiencing the similar problem. My laptop "SEES" the network, but wont access for the life of me.

I try to ipconfig /all in the command line, and nothing happens.

I will most likely start my own thread.

Why dont you start off with reading this thread http://www.geekstogo...topic=43292&hl= ? . You may have the same issue even though you dont know it "Nothing" happens with IPconfig if you type it into the "run" line. You must first open a "DOS" window using cmd at the Run line then type in ipconfig /all on the black screen

You are better off reading all the existing threads under "networking" rather than starting a new one with the same or similar problem. Look for the ones with a number of replies.

Edited by Cough, 18 October 2005 - 09:44 AM.

ldbonner

ldbonner

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Yes, I tried running some ipconfig diagnostics via DOS and was unsuccessful.

I worked with Dell support to uninstall my internal wireless card and reloaded it.

It is now working well and you may close this thread.

Thanks for the help guys,

Doug