Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 98, very slow!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

acttom

acttom

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I have an old gateway with a pentium two and windows 98. It is is my sons room. It runs very slow all the time. It takes awhile for internet pages to pull up and fpr programs to run. i tried to run ewido but it doesnt run on win 98. Is there something I can do to get it to perform faster?????

acttom :tazz:

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
There's lots of things you can do to make it faster. Delete unneccesary file and temp internet files fairly often. I would do that and then redefragment the disk. That is something you don't need to do often with XP, but you should with win98 or ME. If you don't redefragment the machine has to look all over the disk to find places to put bits and pieces of the downloaded files, such as the temp internet files, and that takes time and wear and tear on the hard drive. If the disk is large enough try not to use more than 50% of its capacity to speed its operation. Some of the older disks are quite slow, so a new faster one might help, but finding one that is small enough for an older machine isn't easy.

Remove unneeded programs, expecially from the start menu so they won't use memory and CPU time.

Check to see that you have enough memory. Adding updates and programs fills up the memory and if the memory used exceeds the physical memory it agains means unneeded writing to and reading from the disk.

Check to make sure there isn't malware/spyware on the machine.

acttom

acttom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Thanks for the input...

I have ran scan disk and defrag. I ran clean up!, adaware 1.06 and spybot sd and all is good so far. I will try to remove some programs but there are not many that are uneeded.
Is there a program comprable to Ewido for XP that I can run on Win 98?? Ewido worked wonders on my other system ( Dell w/ Win xp). I tried it on 98 but its only for 2000 and up...

I tried to download trojan hunter but the file will not downlaod with out errors and will not run...

How do I check the memory and how do I know if what I have is not enough or is to full?
Thanks.. :tazz:
acttom

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Closed.

I think you have enough topics running.

Thanks for understanding,