Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Zotob

• Please log in to reply

miliano

miliano

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I've been having a problem lately were my computer keeps rebooting when I turn in with my modem on. If i turn the modem off the computer will turn on but at times it will suddenly reboot. I have been hear about the worm that has hit a lot off place like cnn and how it doens't really have any effects on the computer except for rebooting. But my innternet is running alot slower now. I have tried hijackthis and some of your staff members have said it is clean. Can anyone help me. and do you think that reintalling windows would help.

i have a dell, windows xp home edition.

thank you.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi miliano...Welcome to G2G!

Let me gather a little more information from you.

1) Have you run any of the On-line virus scans such as Panda Active Scan or Trendmicro?
2) How old is your Dell? Desktop or Laptop? Model Number?
3) Did you install any hardware or software just prior to your problem starting?

wannabe1

miliano

miliano

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I have not used Panda Active Scan or Trendmicro
my dell is about a year and a half old. desktop
dimension 2400
And i don't believe I installed any hardware or software, but thats what the message ask when it turned blue and reboots.

my sister may have installed something.

Octagonal

Octagonal

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
Hi miliano

Microsoft has a page with info about Zotob.

http://www.microsoft...ory/899588.mspx

Read the page and download and scan with the "Malicious Software Tool". If you still have problems after doing this and what wannabe1 suggests, try another HJT post in the Malware Removal forum.

HTH
"O"

Edited by Octagonal, 20 August 2005 - 11:25 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi miliano....

Octagonal gave you some good advice...you should definitely take a look at that information and download/run the software. I would add, however, go to Panda and run their Active scan (You will have to use Internet Explorer for this...the link is at the upper right corner of their page). Also make sure that your computer has the latest updates from Micro$oft. If you continue to have problems, please post back here so we can continue with our assistance.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 20 August 2005 - 11:39 PM.

miliano

miliano

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I've done both scans and they have found nothing.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Welcome back miliano...

Have you tried a System Restore?

Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore...Choose to Restore my computer to an earlier time and choose a date to restore to. (preferrably a time before "my sister may have installed something.")...click "Next"...Let it restore and reboot. Let us know how it goes.

wannabe1

miliano

miliano

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
One of the first things I tried.