Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless network

• Please log in to reply

drljspr

drljspr

• Pip
  • 9 posts
GOAL: To setup a wireless internet from my laptop for use with my pocket pc (ipaq 4705). The car as the poweplant for the laptop. With a 900 foot or greater wireless range.

History to date. They said (Geek squad at best buy) that it could not be done. I went home and hooked the internet port from the laptop to a hardwired dlink 5 port router and connected (with cat6) 3 other desktop pc's and they worked fine. With the laptop providing the internet service for the other 3 desktops. One more word about this, the ip from the provider is not constant.

EQUI:
Verizon V620 wireless internet card.
1. Plugs into the pcima card slot laptop. Provides cellphone dial up broadband internet services. Unlimited minutes.
2. Laptop with pc card slot, windows xp home ediion
3. linksys WRT55AG wireless router or Belkin Wireless G plus MIMO router. Both with 1 internet (WAN) in port and 4 out either net ports, supports up to 4 computers. Range up to 900 feet.
4. Hp ipaq pocket pc with windows mobile 2003. CompactFlash Linksys wifi card plugged into the pocket PC's compact flash port. And supporting programs for Internet service (implus, i.e. explorer).

Note Dlink 5 port router is no longer in the system (no wireless capabilities)

Hookup:
Laptop with wireless Internet card, (not to be confused with a wifi card. This card provides Internet service.)
Eithernet port from the laptop connected to the Internet port of the wireless router. The ipaq with the wifi compact flash.

Symptoms: From within range, the ipaq reports that the laptop responds within 150 ms. But when I goto I'm+ (a yahoo messenger, msn messenger ect) I get various feed back. Such as, requires a proxy server, requires a certificate, not found. Depending on what settings I set, I get diferent answers.

Now the question: Do you know of anyone or could recommend anyone that has extensive knowledge in setting up a wireless network. One that would know the settings on the laptop. and the ipaq combined with the router. Everyone has told me that it couldn't be done. (Yea right.) IF I can get the ipaq to contact the computer, then it is possible that I do not have the settings on the laptop right. Yes I could goto starbucks and pay for t-moble or one of those, but I want to carry my own.

Since it worked with a hardwire router, it should work with a wireless one.
Anyone have any sugestions?

Advertisements