Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Browsers not resolving certain Top Level Domains

• Please log in to reply

aquarius012273

aquarius012273

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Please help! Both my browsers (IE6, Firefox 1.0.6) are suddenly unable to resolve certain website names with India-specific top level domains! All I am getting are DNS errors. This is happening with my PC and my laptop - all on a sudden!

1. It is happening with URLs ending with .co.in and .nic.in - I can still reach the sites if I use their IP address.
2. If the site has a pop-up secondary secure area (such as banking sites) to be reached by logging into a secure server with the same IP, I am unable to reach that login page, because the pop-up page would not load and show a DNS error.
3. I checked my hosts file thoroughly, and could not find any mention of these IPs or corresponding URLs.
4. The problem is not occurring if I use the same URL in my wife's Mac Safari browser (though connected to the same network).

I am going nuts over this problem, because I could not find any apparent reason for its occurrence. I would be obliged if someone could shed some light on this.

Sincerely.

Advertisements