Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

audio codec conflict?

• Please log in to reply

igd93

igd93

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Windows Media Player 10 isn't playing wave files (PCM) and is returning the 8007007E error "module not found". A bit of research and testing led me to the conclusion that the probable culprit is some hacked-up audio codec from oneof the "all in one" codec packs that smart people tell you never to download 10 minutes after you've installed them..
I managed to avoid all the usual suspects(tsunami, angelpotion,Nimo, etc.) but theres still something skr00ing w/ media Player. These wave files play just fine on irfanview and Winamp, but when I run Gspot(the codec app) on them and try rendering it comes back w/ same error code. I suppose I need to know which one is causing the problem and if it can be gotten rid of or fixed? I wouldn't even bother if it weren't for the fact that this game I'm fond of (Shogun:Total War) requires Media Player to run. I've also tried running waves with the winplayer2 executable and it doesn't run them either.
If it would help I could more specific info from Sherlock or Gspot or DxDiag for that matter. The closest thing anything on the web has to say about a solution for this is "Format the drive. Reinstall." which I'd REALLY rather avoid if I could. :tazz:

Advertisements

igd93

igd93

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I should also mention that I've already updated the sound and video card drivers and have DirectX 9.0c installed and that I've tried unistalling some of the codecs(no luck) and reinstalling(no luck either). The sound device is AC'97(realtek) on board and the machine is a HP Pavillion 503w with the Trigem Glendale motherboard. Neither the sound nor video devices report any problems.
:tazz:

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Looks like you have tried most of the stuff.
Have you tried, Updating your sound-card drivers to the latest version, and see if the error occurs again.

igd93

igd93

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Well the sound card(which is really on board rather than a literal card) drivers are dated 6/20/05, which seems pretty recent and I haven't really been able to find anything more recent, so I'm assuming these are up to date. The nVidia GeForce 440 video card drivers are dated 07/20/05 and I got them directly from the nVidia site. On some earlier advice I also updated the chipset drivers, which aren't that recent, but its an older board so no surprise there. I also re downloaded and reinstalled the Win Media player default codecs, but that didn't do it either. The REALLY vexing part is that these wave files are in the PCM format which is suposed to be the native format(no codecs required) for W.M.P. audio. It should be able to play these even when everything else is pizzled for whatever reason. Everything else looks good. One tiny possibility is something with the chipset. The board also comes with Intel onboard graphics. i had to disable and remove the driver(845G/GL series) when I installed the Video card so they wouldn't conflict. Could this have gotten the audio out of whack in some way? Everything on device manager and in the various properties windows looks kosher. I can't help thinking its some "free codec of doom" that got in there when I was ding a lot of A/V work on this machine. I just can't figure out a way to tell if thats it and what to do about it if it is.
:tazz:
And BTW thanx for the reply!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try here

http://www.filehippo...dia_player.html

This is a different version (3802) and should get round a this product is already installed error

igd93

igd93

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ok, d/l 'd 3805 from filehippo, installed it and still no wave playing. Restarted, just to make sure and still not happening. Is ther any way to trace the sequence of events when media player tries and fails to play one of these files? I've been trying for 2 weeks to crack this problem and I've been to everyplace Google takes you when you type in "WMP audio error 8007007e" and every other combination of the relevant terms.
Usenet, web sites, here....I haven't asked anybody on irc yet

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Error 8007007E or "Module not found" means something in the playback chain isn't fully installed. It is most likely not WMP, but something like a sound card driver.

http://www.wmplugins...t.aspx?typeid=8

http://www.microsoft...p10/codecs.aspx

http://www.microsoft..._PlaybackIssues

igd93

igd93

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
See posts # 1 and 2. Been there, read that, updated everything. Mp3's play on Media Player just fine. Waves plays on irfanview and Winamp just fine.