Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New PC BIOS Problem

• Please log in to reply

OhDiscorida

OhDiscorida

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey!

Newly built PC's BIOS will not read past the CPU. The power works and the HD spins and the CD-ROMs light up but the BIOS will not go anywhere.

The Keyboard will also not work when I try to press DEL or ESC to go to setup. I have reset the BIOS try many keyboards and checked all the cable connections. I am using a ECS nForce4 A939 mobo with a AMD 64 3200+ CPU. :tazz: :-\ at a loss for where to go next. I have tried moving the 2 RAM sticks around and using only 1 to no avail.

any help will be great.

Advertisements

Stasiek

Stasiek

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
do you get any type of beeps coming from the pc?

OhDiscorida

OhDiscorida

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
One beep when the PC starts up, but no beep codes, PC sounds fine.

Stasiek

Stasiek

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
i would make sure that every connection is properly connected inside on the mobo

OhDiscorida

OhDiscorida

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I have :tazz: :) mmmm

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Are you using USB or PS2 keyboards?

OhDiscorida

OhDiscorida

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
PS2 :tazz:

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

I am assuming you have video correct?

What psu do you have?

If you are using a psu with 20pin connector make sure the extra 4 pin connector is pluged in.

Rick

OhDiscorida

OhDiscorida

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
hey.
the psu is a 24 pin, but i double-checked the connection to the motherboard anyway.
it's a cooler master 430 watt psu, brand new. if any of this helps at all, here's the rest of the system:

amd athlon 64 at 3200+
1 gig (2 x 512 MB) RAM
radeon x800xl 256 MB graphics card PCI Express x 16
socket 939 ecs elitegroup nforce4 motherboard
creative labs soundblaster audigy 2 zs
coolermaster 430 watt psu
western digital raptor at 36.7 gigs (for the OS). once i have the money, ill be ordering a larger storage drive.

anyway, im not sure if any of that info was helpful to you, but you never know. thanks!

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You said the 'bios will go past the cpu' - do you mean it stops after cpu detection but before the memory count/check has performed?

If so, I suggest test the system with just one ram module in place in slot 1.

If this doesn't help, then remove the sound card & any other pci cards, leaving only the video. Also disconnect all drive cabling (hard drive/CD/floppy) from the motherboard. Disconnect the main ATX power connector form the board & clear the bios using the jumper for at least 10 seconds.

Reconnect the atx power connector & make sure you have the 4 pin atx square power connector plugged in.
Power up the system again with only the cpu & hs/fan, one stick of ram, video & keyboard connected. If this still doesn't work then swap the ram module for the other one.

Let me know what happens

OhDiscorida

OhDiscorida

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
ill see what i can do with the tips you gave me. as soon as i get back from vacation, ill let you know.