Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help!

• Please log in to reply

mpy

mpy

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
I have a big problem with my computer now... Let me start off by saying that I have windows xp home edition ..

Ok so.. I scanned my computer and found a virus but the scanner wouldn't heal it.. So I deleted it.. Then explorer.exe stuffed up.. Then I booted my comp with my windows xp cd and tried to repair the whole windows.. But then after repairing it every time I tried to go into windows a message came up saying:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

***STOP: 0x0000007B (0xFA2C3640, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)"

... So I booted my computer again with the cd and installed another windows xp OS... "C:\WINDOWS2".. And that's how I am on now.. Oh and I can still access my original files on my drive but I can't open most of them.. like word documents and real one player movies.. But I know I have microsoft word and real one.. Also the sound doesn't work and the monitor is kinda weird..

I've been to the malware section and have deleted all viruses/spyware :tazz:

Edited by mpy, 20 August 2005 - 10:09 PM.

Advertisements

Poetic.Garbage

Poetic.Garbage

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Please have a look at >> http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html <<.

Let me know how things turn out. :tazz:

Edited by Poetic.Garbage, 20 August 2005 - 10:27 PM.

mpy

mpy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
I tried it twice.. But to no prevail.. It just kept coming up with the same dam stop message... But during the re-installation 2 pop up messages came up saying a file was missing.. Can't remember exactly what it said..

Poetic.Garbage

Poetic.Garbage

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Then all I can say is try by re-installing the programs, and drivers.

mpy

mpy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
That doesn't help me much because I can't even log into my 1st windows xp.. Should I reformat my computer? Then re-install windows xp home edition?

Poetic.Garbage

Poetic.Garbage

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
I was speaking of installing the programs and drivers on the 2nd installation. But if you don't care about losing all your information, I would say go ahead, reformat, and re-install windows.

mpy

mpy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Oh.. The drivers don't work on the second installation :tazz: It said that there would be problems if I installed a second OS..

Poetic.Garbage

Poetic.Garbage

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Sorry to say, but I am stumped right now, I am really tired.

No creative juices flowing atm. If no one has assisted you by when I come back tommorrow I will take another stab at it.

Although there is always the last resort of doing a total re-format and install.

But that is your choice.

mpy

mpy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Thanks for helping me, is it safe to do a reformat? Can I see a guide on how to format?

mpy

mpy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Oh well.. I'm gonna do a full format to NTFS.. bye bye all my anime have a good time in [bleep] :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Look at the install / remove guides on left

http://www.theeldergeek.com/