Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Will not boot up

• Please log in to reply

texasleatherneck

texasleatherneck

• Pip
  • 2 posts
It started out taking a couple of tries to boot up. the next time I turned it on it tried to do a disk check, but would freeze up. Lastly it told me that my OS was not found. The last thing I tried was to boot from the Win XP disk provided by Gateway and use the Recovery Console, but it said that the hard drive was not found. I'm at my wits end. Oh yes, at some point in there I tried to use the recovery console instructions posted on MS's website, but my command prompt wouldn't accept my commands.

Advertisements

MajorFatCat

MajorFatCat

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
Welcome to Geekstogo. It looks like something has corrupted your computer so badly, that your harddrive and OS will need to be replaced.

:tazz:

rharris270

rharris270

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
You could have any of a number of general problems, including:
bad connections (wires)
bad motherboard
bad disk
virus

I suggest that you methodically attempt to solve this problem.

The first thing to do is to check all connections within the PC with power off, and a ground strap on yuor wrist. (A wire connection a metal-banded watch to the PC case will serve as a ground.)

Then, reboot and hope for a better response.

If that fails, then get an alternative (free) operating system and see what it does. I recommend KNOPPIX version 3.9. It is a full CD's worth of LINUX and can see NTFS disks. You download an ISO file and then use soemting like Easy CD Creator or Nero to burn from file" to make a bootale CD. Note that the download is about 700 Meg, so you will need a PC with high-speed internet.

http://www.knopper.n...x/index-en.html

If KNOPPIX can read the disk, then maybe a "repair" installation of XP will fix the problem. I do not know whether your Gateway CD will support a repair, or just a full re-install (i.e., erase everything first).

If KNOPPIX can not read the disk, then disk disk could be bad, or maybe the master boot record has been corrupted. Note that KNOPPIX itself is immune to viruses, because it runs from a read-only CD.

If necessary, the easiest way to repair te MBR is via the XP CDROM and its recovery console. The command is FIXMBR. Note that FIXMBR may work when CHKDSK fails to find a disk. If FIXMBR works, then do CHKDSK with the /R option.

If FIXMBR fails to find a disk, then either the disk is bad (crashed) or the disk controller is bad. If you have an alternative disk controller, try connecting the disk to that. Many PCs have two separate controllers with two channels each. For example, the CDROM drive is working, since you can run the recovery console. That is attached to an IDE controller that could also be used for a disk. Alternatively, the CDROM drive could be attached to the controller currently being used for the disk, as a way to test the controller.

OR, you could temporarily move the disk to another PC, with a known good controller, and attempt to read it.

If the controller appears good, then it is probably time to replace the disk. I hope that you have backups of any personal data on the disk.

texasleatherneck

texasleatherneck

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Wow, that is so opposite from what I wanted to hear, which was "Your pc is just taking the weekend off and will be up and running on its own on Monday." LOL. Thanks for the quick responses, but I'm not sure how much that applies to me or that I'm qualifed to perform. It's a laptop so I unpluged it and removed the battery. Then I removed the HDD and reinserted it. No change. I don't have access to the internet right now other than the pocket pc(what I'm using now) so I can't d/l. I'm trying to bring up recovery console to try FMBR now.