Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

98/XP dual boot, please help

• Please log in to reply

WhatThe

WhatThe

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Hello everyone

I needed to create a dual boot 98/XP machine, from a machine which already had XP installed and working well for a long time.

There was only one partiton to start with

I have used partition magic to resize the partition and move it to allow for a small partition at the start of the drive, I did this because of the PQmagic warning about the 98SE 8GB boot limit.

After thinking about that I dont think I needed to move the XP partition because if I had left the partition where it was XP would handle the initial boot sequence?

So what I have now is a machine which boots hapily into XP or 98, but I have to use PQmagic rescue disks to make each partition active to change operating sytems.

I have modified the boot.ini (in windows xp when its partition is active) file as follows,

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(0)\WINDOWS="98" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

I get a boot option menu, however when I choose 98 I get the following error,

Windows could not start because the follwing file is missing or corrupt <windows root>system32\hal.dll

Is hal.dll a xp only thing?

any help would make my day, thanks

Please

Advertisements

WhatThe

WhatThe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
No Ideas?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Have a read of this. I run 98se & xp and no problems.
98 xp boot
and this
more 98 xp
I run mine as fat 32 for 98 & xp

Edited by peterm, 22 August 2005 - 05:46 PM.

Bill Berditzman

Bill Berditzman

• Pip
  • 6 posts
If you have the dreaded hal.dll file missing or corrupted do a repair from a xp boot and at the repair prompt do chkdsk /f If that doesn't fix it, do a low level format and start over.