Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wifi related stuff

• Please log in to reply

PSDOFF

PSDOFF

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I recently wifi-d my house. There are 3 laptops and 1 desktop scattered and so far it's been great.

But, there are a few things I don't know how to do:

1. How to setup a home network - shared folders, shared printers.
2. How to secure my network so no neighbors can access my network and eat up my bandwidth.
3. How to monitor how much bandwidth each user is utilizing.

Also, one tiny problem (that tends to be a bit annoying), is that I'm an avid fan of Outlook Express (don't ask) ever since I set up wifi, 4 out of every 5 send attempts I get an error message saying that the message can't be send because the recipient is invalid. I keep resending and after an average of 4 trials the messages are sent. Why is this happening? Never saw such problem with dialup.

Appreciate any feedback.

Advertisements

PastaBoy4

PastaBoy4

• PipPip
  • 73 posts

1. How to setup a home network - shared folders, shared printers.
2. How to secure my network so no neighbors can access my network and eat up my bandwidth.
3. How to monitor how much bandwidth each user is utilizing.

1. right click on folders, printers you whant to share and click shareing, go into the stting and adjust appropiatley
2. securing the network involves setting up WEP keys in the router settings you enable WEP security the router generates a code of about 16 I belive carectors that you then have to insert on all the machines so they can get on
3. you router may have a built in function for that or you may need to get a 3rd part program to do so

as far as your outlook problem not too sure about it I'l see if I can get a bit more info on the issue and post back