Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

how do i upgrade my bios?

• Please log in to reply

mrhunta

mrhunta

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
how do i figure out the right updates for my bios

Advertisements

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
best way to figure out the right way to upgrade your bios is to go the motherboard manfuacturers website. they will have links for bios upgrades based on your system.

note, most motherboards use award phoenix bios software, and that is available by paying for it.

pomp

pomp

the man

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
What brand is your motherboard? I recently built a computer and I got an AOpen board. They made a windows based app to flash the bios called EzWinFlash for their boards. I updated the BIOS and it was successful! :tazz: I was pleased that they did that!

mrhunta

mrhunta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
i dont know what the name of the bord is but the reson i want to upgrade my bios settings is cus the bios settup i have now wont let me overclock any thing every thing is kinda faded out so i cant highlight it or eddit it is upgradeing even going to fix this ? i cant edit any thing like my processor and ram and stuff is there any way to fix this will upgradeing even work?? o yea how do i find out what bord i got

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
to get the information you need for the board and BIOS infor, download Everest here
then let it run, it will tell you what motherboard you have as well as what version Bios you have.

Based on what you were saying, it depends on your system as to whether or not you can even overclock, not all boards let that be done.

mrhunta

mrhunta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
Motherboard Name Intel La Crosse D865GLC

thats the board name i think i know its possible to overclock locked mother boards i saw it on a website the program was called biostweak or something and i saw an artical saying you could do it if you reprogramed your bios or something i was thinking if i got award bios on my computer instead of bios setup utility it would then have the ability to overclock just a hunch o yea any one know if intel la Crosse D865GLC is a mother board that alows overclocking and if it dous how do i do it

Edited by mrhunta, 21 August 2005 - 02:39 PM.

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
most intel boards are not recommended for overclocking, And this happens to be one of the boards. You can find this info here:

http://www.eclipseco...ode=MBI-D865GLC

mrhunta

mrhunta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
dam that sucks ok but how do i reprogram my bios to make it be able to overclock

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
unless your board supports overclocking, I would suggest you don't do it. If you try to overclock a mobo that isn't designed with oveclocking in mind, you could easily kill your CPU, Your RAM, or your Entire motherboard. Which means congratulation you now have a very expensive paperweight.

Due to that standpoint, i will not willing give the information out to overclock your system since it is not designed to have that done.

If someone else wants to take that responsibility they can. However in the event that your machine does get damaged I must point out one thing of the TOS.

YOU AGREE THAT YOUR USE OF THE Geeks to Go SERVICES AND YOUR RELIANCE ON ANY QUESTIONS, ANSWERS, INFORMATION OR OTHER MATERIALS RECEIVED THROUGH THE WEB SITE WILL BE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

and this

No Warranty
YOU EXPRESSLY AGREE THAT USE OF THE SERVICES IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK. THE SERVICES ARE PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" BASIS............

YOU UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT ANY MATERIAL AND/OR DATA DOWNLOADED OR OTHERWISE OBTAINED THROUGH THE USE OF THE SERVICES IS DONE AT YOUR OWN RISK AND THAT YOU WILL BE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM OR LOSS OF DATA THAT RESULTS FROM THE DOWNLOAD OF SUCH MATERIAL AND/OR DATA.

mrhunta

mrhunta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
is there any program i can use that will at least overclock my ram kind like how riva tuner overclocks graphics cards

Edited by mrhunta, 21 August 2005 - 06:12 PM.

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
Nope, I don't think you'll be able to because the BIOS lacks overclocking options. Sorry

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
You could try Clockgen http://www.cpuid.org...G-ICS952618.zip

Thats the one for intel 865 chipset

Dont know if it will work for you tho

If it does be very careful with it :tazz: