Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error when reformating.

• Please log in to reply

Dorrod

Dorrod

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
OK...I got this PC from a friend of a friend and they said that someone was controlling thier PC...so they give it to me and they said i can just reformat it to get the virus off. Well I tried to reformat it but it gave me an error saying there was a file missing from my XP Pro CD. My first thought was...bad CD...so I tried it in a different PC and it loaded just fine..so obviously its not the CD. Then i went online and found downloads for boot disks. I DL'd the 95 boot disk so I could FDisk the drive...I too everything off that way and well the error keeps coming up...I also tried reseting the bios. Another wierd thing I noticed is in DOS the background is black and the characters are orange and only some are white...odd...ive never seen this before. the 95 boot disk I DL'd didnt have an MBR reset...I'm not sure if that would help at all..If you guys could help at all it would be great...I'm not sure if a 98 boot disk would be better, let me know if I should try that. Thanks in advance.

Ed

Advertisements

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
you said you fdisked the harddrive and took all the files off that way. did you delete the msdos partition??

teh virus may be hiding in the root directory or the dos directory.

Dorrod

Dorrod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Yes I deleted all the parttions. I remebered a time where my teacher told me to reset the MBR with a boot disk and it fixed the promblem we were having but i cant find a dl that has the xtra files needed for it and I dont have any 95/98 OSs to try it out myself...anyone know of a place where i might find it?

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
Try here maybe one of these will help.

http://www.bootdisk.com/