Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost My CD-ROM

• Please log in to reply

Dadoo

Dadoo

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Dear Uncomputer-challenged Ones,

I have lost my CD-ROM drive or at least the pathway configuring it. The CD-Rom will light, open and close, but there it ends! When I look in My Computer the D: drive designation and CD-Rom label are missing. I have tried to reinstall the CD-ROM using the add/remove hardware wizard. When I do, I get the CD-Rom model info with a yellow overlapping Icon. Clicking on this gives me a Code 31 error report...[QUOTE]This device depends on another device that is not functioning correctly.[QUOTE] Thinking I have lost the drivers to the CD-ROM, I have done loaded them and reinstalled them in WINNT Sys 32 drivers file. Rebooted and got the same old story!!!
I went out and bought a new CD-ROM and tried to install it and ....VOILA!!! Nothing, Nada, Zilch except for a code 31error!

Can someone please help this 55 year old father and no-computer-genius get things back to working order?

Blessings,

Dadoo :tazz:

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. It was working before and then just disappeared? This does happen. You need to rule out all possible hardware issues first, like making sure the cables are secure, and it is properly set to master or slave depending on the EIDE channel and whether shared with another drive. EIDE cables do fail, but that usually happens when people mess with them, not all by themselves. You said you got a new CD drive? Did it come with a EIDE cable? You could try changing it out. I just want you to rule out the hardware before you go to the fix below....

There is a registry fix from M$. Here is a link to it. Follow the precautions and back up the registry before you begin.
http://support.micro...om/?kbid=320553