Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Java/ByteVerify and Lost Netscape Mail/bookmarks

• Please log in to reply

freakandvampira

freakandvampira

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,
It's been a loooong night.

My wife went to start Netscape. Got an error box stating "An error occured reading the startup configuration file" It gave a syntax error and a directory. If you close this error box Netscape acts as if it is a fresh install and connects to the Netscape website to register and download Netscape 8.
Soon after we got an alert from AVG for the Java/ByteVerify.
Ran AvG found nothing.

So, I went by everything you have listed on your please start here page: Clean-up, Adaware,etc.....plus cleared the Java cache as I had read elsewhere..

Netscape still acts the same. I can't tell if I still have this Trojan/Virus or not as no programs have found it.

To clarify. I have been using Netscape for months, if not years. It has not recently been updated or had any changes made to it. It is as if my entire profile was wiped out. No email, no bookmarks and none of my saved settings are correct.

Please help!!!
I am running Windows 2000 Pro and Netscape 7.1

Thanks,
Eric and Angie

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. I like http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ as a means of checking on what Norton does or does not find. It found I had javabytever and I was able to delete it (couldn't clean it, had to delete it). I use Mozilla Firefox and it has dumped my bookmarks twice. Gone, no way to recover them. I had to rebulid. There is freeware or maybe even a Mozilla plug in to back up your profile/bookmarks. I don't know about Netscape, but I suspect it is the same as Mozilla. If you didn't back up your profile, you will probably have to rebuild it.