Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2 Probs (related?) Can't Reboot, Missing Bar

• Please log in to reply

muroff

muroff

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello all -- I can turn-off and start my Dell Dimension w/ XP just fine. When I try to reboot, the system 'hangs' with a funny high pitched noise right after the Dell start-up screen.

Related problem?? When I Cntrl-Alt-Delete, the screen pops-up WITHOUT any buttons or bars at the top, just the program page. Seems to work fine otherwise lol.

I haven't noticed EXACTLY if the 2 probs started at the same time... only that the reboot prob started ~ month ago and C-A-Delete used to work fine.

Help!!

Advertisements

muroff

muroff

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Anybody have any ideas?? The 'restart' problem is really getting annoying.

Thanks

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
start > run, type
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Look under systems and applications for items with red Xs that happened at the SAME time as your problem...list them here.

also if you have your original xp disk you may want to attempt a repair of windows.

muroff

muroff

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for responding.

I get 1 common error under Application:
Source - MsiInstaller
The user is me.

Under System I got a Print error, User - System

Does this help??

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well the msi installer could possibly be fixed by updating your system with windows update...the print thing may be fixed by reinstalling your printer

muroff

muroff

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Forgot to add that this was from a reboot... when I bring up the Task Manager I don't get any errors associated with it.

I DO have the original XP disk that came with the computer... I'm sure it is NOT SP2 (which I did install from microsoft.com)

- Marc

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the service packs arent the only updates, go to windows update and pick up all the available updates