Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

nVidia nForce motherboard

• Please log in to reply

thepiper

thepiper

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
i've got an ASUS A7N266 VM-SE motherboard. Its an nVidia nForce 2 chipset with an onboard 32MB Ge Force 2 220D card. It has given decent gaming performance, and considering me as a poor guy, and my dad won't buy me anything until I get into a good college, it was well worth my money. I bought it abt. 3 yrs ago.

Recently I updated the drivers and its performance got screwed. Started getting choppy. After unistalling, it was ok.

Now what updates should I install? The nVidia Detonator ones or Unified nForce Drivers or or nVidia Force wares or which updates?
All these are distributed by a local comp mag.

Can anyone help?

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. I would suggest you stick to driver updates for the A7N266 VM-SE motherboard as posted by the manufacturer at the ASUS web page. The last driver update you tried didn't work. Unless those you are proposing are recommended by Asus, I wouldn't try them. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

thepiper

thepiper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Hey listen, I'm having a new prob. now. I have rolled back to the older original drivers. Now games crash after starting. They run excellent for a while then crash. I get a blue screen saying either
1) Problem with nv4_disp.dll OR
2)Page fault in non paged area

I've tried everything possible under the sun.
Updating, downdating drivers, directX, restoring original configs. I've changed and restored page file settings, error checked HDD, defraggd it what not, by God. No avail.

This started happening to only a certain track on NFS Undrgrnd.
Now it happens everytime. Some game videos have also become choppy.
I'm sure nothing's wrong with my hardware. I'm sure it's just an error somewhere or a setting change. CAN ANYONE HELP!!!

PS:- I use NVHardpage. I haven't overclocked or tweaked, but just used it to adjust some normal settings adjustable under Control Panel.

yardguard

yardguard

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
What I do when updates do more harm than good (it happens) is I use the original CD with the original drivers that came with the MB and restore those drivers....Usually works for me.

Just a thought

thepiper

thepiper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Hey, even downdating the drivers didn't help. Now it's screwed other games too. I think it's hardpage (Just a thought!!)
BTW, how do I uninstall hardpage?

Another thing, newer drivers SIGNIFICANTLY increase performance. Even with my low config, NFSU, NFSU2 , GTA Vice city (these are abt. all the games I play) work [bleep] well.

yardguard

yardguard

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
According to the site NVHardpage doesn't have a install utility...To unistall is a matter of deleting the directory and contents.

There is a newer version of this tweaking utility....maybe you should look into that.