Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How good is AOL?

• Please log in to reply

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
AOL claims to protect its customers with virus protection, anti-spyware, and anti-spam. (Maybe even a firewall?) How reliable is the protection from AOL? Does AOL cause some popups?

Edited by computerwiz12890, 21 August 2005 - 01:22 PM.

Advertisements

Miss Bree

Miss Bree

• Pip
  • 8 posts
AOL sucks.

Edited by Miss Bree, 04 March 2006 - 04:02 PM.

pccromeo

pccromeo

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
AOL is horrible. Yes, they do offer security software, but they're not the full versions. You're continuously nagged to upgrade to the full versions which you have to pay extra for. The "Aol TopSpeed" crap is also a lie too. Dial up only speed up by greatly lowering the quality of images on websites. And if you get AOL for Broadband, it will slow your broadband down to dial up speeds. Cancelling your subscription is bad too. I had to argue with them on the phone for thirty minutes before they would cancel. No, do not get AOL.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I figured AOL wasn't any good. One of my customers uses it, but I found 157 viruses and over 1000 spyware on her computer. I use Juno, but I wanted to know about AOL so I can help my future customers.

Thanks

Miss Bree

Miss Bree

• Pip
  • 8 posts
ick.

Edited by Miss Bree, 04 March 2006 - 04:03 PM.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
AOL = crap in my book. I used it for about two months, and I had nothing but problems. It slowed my dial up down to 14k and that was WITH their "speed up". It froze me up, hogged system resources, etc.

I am using PeoplePc now, no complaints whatsoever. I love it..AND it's very cheap! :tazz:

Boomer_2008

Boomer_2008

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
AOL ISNT THE BEST thing to get i promess ya!!!!!

VGamr

VGamr

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
AOL sucks!!!!! i had it and it bogs u down on whatever yur doin i got cable internet and high speed roadrunner and i blow every1 away in counter strike source lol :) well jus a word of advice :tazz:

Edited by VGamr, 23 August 2005 - 03:10 PM.