Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Frontpage problem

• Please log in to reply

Mr G

Mr G

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
I wonder if you could help guys :tazz:
I am pretty inexperienced in web design and have been using Frontpage for a while, I made up a website and everything was working fine, it is easy for me to use and have had very few problems, until recently, I have changed computers as my old one gave up on me, and I never made a back up of the website...I now have a website floating in hyperspace... I have frontpage with my new computer. my question is can I retrieve my website back onto frontpage as before and still be able to work with it.. if so can I possibly have a step by step guide to do this.
Your advice and help would be really appreciated.

Thx

Advertisements

GoCompute

GoCompute

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Okay this is how my friend did it:

1. Open up Internet Explorer 6
2. Locate your website
3. Go into Tools---->Internet Options---->Programs
4. Go down to HTML editor and select Frontpage as your HTML editor
5. Exit the Internet Options
6. Use the extend menu button and select Edit (it will have a FrontPage icon next to it)
7. Frontpage will open with your website
8. Save it onto your hard drive via Frontpage

Repeat process for every page. Hope it works. :tazz:

NOTE: You must have Frontpage installed for this to work

Cheers,
Ethan

Edited by GoCompute, 21 August 2005 - 03:36 PM.

Mr G

Mr G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Thanx GoCompute..(Ethan)

It seems to have worked a treat...Will let you know if I have any more probs.
Once again cheers. :tazz: :)

Edited by Mr G, 23 August 2005 - 07:52 AM.

GoCompute

GoCompute

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Alright. Glad you got it to work. :tazz:

Cheers,
Ethan

Mr G

Mr G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
oops have just started to do some editing, I save and publish the changes, on checking the website nothing has changed everything is the same as it was...i did as you said above have i missed something or what.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

oops have just started to do some editing, I save and publish the changes, on checking the website nothing has changed everything is the same as it was...i did as you said above have i missed something or what.

View Post

Just to make a suggestion, first download the site files to a folder in your computer so that they exactly duplicate your website. Do all the editing in your computer. You can check for any prolems, see how your site looks, etc., without disturbing the site users. The editing will be much quicker and more sure and any mistakes you make won't show up on your pages. Then upload any changed items to your site. After you get used to this I think you will find it a much better procedure and you'll always have duplicates of your files.