I recently bought a few upgrades for my rusty 8 year old PC and i am having a number of problems with it.
1. I have bought a brand new socket 775 P4 processor and compatable motherboard which i can't use as the connection for the power and reset button is different to the one connected to my power supply
2. I have put in a samsung 80Gb hard drive which the device manager will detect but i can't initialize/format it. There was no software with it and i have it set up as a slave HD next to my original 8.47Gb HDD but it will not detect as a drive. I also checked the drive space on drive C (the original HD) and it says it is only 8.47Gb as opposed to 88Gb. Both HD's are hooked up to IDE port one.
3. The NEC DVD Burner i got doesn't seem to show up at all in device manager but i can open and close the tray at will. I was hoping to use it alongside my current DVD ROM player. They are both hooked up to IDE Port two.
4. The new Motherboard will not take my current graphics card, which is an ATI Rage Pro 128.
Based on the above information, can anyone tell me:
1. Is it possible to get some sort of converter for the On/Off & Reset button? I think it is supposed to be a 4 pin connector in the formation of the four corners of a square. My current connection has about 14 holes on it with one missing.
2. How can i format the HD? I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling but i cant seem to get anywhere with it.
3. How can i get my new DVD-RW installed? Again, i got no software with it or anything...
4. Although i will upgrade the graphics card after my wallet has fully recovered, is there any kind of converter i can get in order to use this graphics card? Failing that, is it still possible to use the PC for internet and small applications without it?
I don't really want to have to go and pay some overpriced PC "expert" to "take a look at it" for €80. I'm very low on cash anyway so if anyone can help me out with ANY of the above questions, i would be eternally grateful.