Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with serial port

• Please log in to reply

Rex Manning

Rex Manning

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hello-

I have a device which needs to be able to connect to the company's website. Essentially what is supposed to happen is I hook up the device to my serial port and can then communicate with the website. However, the serial port seems rather unresponsive. Over the course of the last week I have tried connecting many times, but have only been successful twice. All the other times I get a message saying the website is unable to communicate with my device. It mentions the need to turn off any firewall or pop-up blockers, which I do (Norton is the only program I believe I have which does either, and I disable it).

Like I said, twice I have been able to troubleshoot it myself by playing with some settings on my machine, but when I replicate those steps now, it gets me nowhere. I know little to nothing about serial ports since I've never needed to use them before, so I am unaware of how to resolve any technical issues. Any help you can provide me would be much appreciated.

Edit to add:

I realized that there was some additional info I could provide. After my failed attempts, I get the below Error Details on the website:

Error Details:

Port1:Portalreadyopen---Port2:Invalidportnumber---Port3:Thedeviceisnotopen---Port4:Invalidportnumber---Port5:Invalidportnumber---Port6:Invalidportnumber---Port7:Invalidportnumber---Port8:Invalidportnumber---Port9:Invalidportnumber---Port10:Invalidportnumber---Port11:Invalidportnumber---Port12:Invalidportnumber---Port13:Invalidportnumber---Port14:Invalidportnumber---Port15:Invalidportnumber---

Edited by Rex Manning, 21 August 2005 - 07:44 PM.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You may need to go into setup, by pressing the right key at bootup, to see if your serial ports are enabled and what their settings are. Serial ports aren't used very much now, so they are one of the first things to be disabled when an IRQ needs to be freed up.

Rex Manning

Rex Manning

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I went into the setup menu during bootup. I wasn't really sure what I was looking for, but I did come across a setting for Serial Port, and it was set to Auto. The other options were Off, COM1 and COM3. I'm not sure if Auto means it's enabled or not.

Rex Manning

Rex Manning

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Does anyone have any other suggestions on how to approach this issue with my serial port? I tried a new wire and it was still unsuccessful. I'll take as many detailed suggestions as possible.

Thanks.