Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows firewall

• Please log in to reply

woody1977

woody1977

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
I have the windows firewall switched off I think but when I go into the security centre in windows xp, it say that it is on, double click it, and it says that it is switched off. But on the main page it says it is on, so can anyone tell me which one it is,or tell me how to get rid of it for good, cos I think it is conflicting, and casuing probs, not major probs, but slow downs etc...

thanks woody

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
**disclaimer Do not disable the XP firewall without a reputable third party firewall updated and ON.

Admin Tools>Services> Windows Firewall
to change settings for service

Johanna

dagger

dagger

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
hi
disabling the service might disable someother features too.

just check in the control panel->Windows firewal if it says off .. it means windows default firewal is off.
The windows firewal says on because you might have set that you will manage firewall with third party tool. For me its on becuz I have set it saying "Kerio firewal" is protecting the computer.

Read the message below where it says "ON".

woody1977

woody1977

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
yeah I have sygate fiewall, dont worry, not gonna get rid of one without having another, on further investigation, windows firewall is off, and it says that a firewall is switdhed on. ie my sygate.

Cheers woody