Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Linux configuration

• Please log in to reply

nkosi

nkosi

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hie everyone,

I am a newbie in the Linux environment and wish to get help from those of you who are experienced. I have juss been given the unenviable task of setting up our work place linux box as an Internet/Email server.

I have loaded Linux Redhat 9.0 on the machine (Custom installation) and would like to configure other things such as Sendmail, squid, samba, apache etc so that the machine can function fully. However, i am not sure how to go about it and would be glad to get detailed instructions from all of you out there. I wish the machine to communicate with other machines running win98 and winxp and to include security features.

Thanx for ur help

Edited by nkosi, 22 August 2005 - 01:51 AM.

Advertisements

Scooped

Scooped

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
First off as a n00b, google is your god.

Next, do not use sendmail, use something like postfix.

Apache is easy to setup, you just need to configure /etc/httpd.conf and

$ apachectl start

Of course, depending on what you need on your site, this can be more or less complex.

The rest, Im sure you can find documentation off of google.

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
Agree with the Google suggestion... do a search for LAMP (Linux, Apache, mySQL Perl/PHP) and follow the HOWTO.

Not so sure I agree with the Postfix thing, other than sendmail can be a bear to configure...

Again, do a Google search.. tons of stuff out there.

Scooped

Scooped

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Agree with the Google suggestion... do a search for LAMP (Linux, Apache, mySQL Perl/PHP) and follow the HOWTO.

Not so sure I agree with the Postfix thing, other than sendmail can be a bear to configure...

Again, do a Google search.. tons of stuff out there.

View Post

Yeah I'm not speaking of experience with Postfix, I'm just trying to say, sendmail has a reputation of being unsecure, and unstable. Seems like every day you hear about a new buffer overflow, and etc...

Also incase you didnt know, use google.com/linux. This will definetlly narrow the results by keeping random things out.

Good luck!