Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Several nvidia 6200 go series display issues

• Please log in to reply

hayden_horn

hayden_horn

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello, ya'll. I have a number of questions, but i will start with the simplest, which might fix the rest of the problems. i now live in japan, having relocated here to teach. befoire i left the states i bought a laptop...

I'm running on a sony vaio laptop model PCG-7A2L. It runs off an intel centrino 1.73 ghz, 1.00 gb RAM. windows xp, service pack 2.

it also has an nvidia geforce go 6200 graphics card. this is the problem, i guess.

i installed medal of honor pacific assault. the game plays fine, even though it complains that my system is not robust enough. I figure probably because the game requires a pentium 4, and all i have is a centrino. in any case, the movies in the game don't work. it is a bit central to the story, and i'm a bit of a history buff, so the movies are somewhat important to me.

SO, i get online and download the nvidia updated drivers, read the directions, and follow them. uninstall old drivers, leave the setup file on my desktop, etc, etc. we boot back up and the display is really low, because the drivers are uninstalled. i try to install the new drivers from nvidia, and get the "we cannot find any drivers that support you hardware" schtick.

i snoop around online, and find this forum, where someone had asked a similar question, and discovered that i need to download the drivers from not nvidia. well,for some reason, it appears to be impossible to find this [bleep] driver, and now i have a fairly shoddy display.

i'm somewhat of a beginner at drivers and all that, so if you could treat me with kid gloves, it would be appreciated, as would any help. Thanks!

edit: shoot, i don't know if this is the correct forum for this question....sorry if it is not.

Edited by hayden_horn, 22 August 2005 - 03:45 AM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
These are the drivers for your card

http://www.nvidia.co...p_2k_77.77.html

You could click start then my computer then view system information, click hardware then device manager

Click the + next to display adapter, right click Nvidia then click uninstall, click to confirm then reboot, XP will install the card as it loads

Download Everest here

http://www.lavalys.c...p?pid=1&lang=en

Run it, click + next to computer then summary, look at Display / video adapter to check XP has recognised the Card

hayden_horn

hayden_horn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
thanks, keith, but when i run that driver, i get the following message:

"The nivdia setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. Setup will now exit."

however, the weirdest part is that my system seems to recognize the nvidia card again, even though the install failed. is this supposed to happen?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Will the drivers install from the software CD which came with the card

hayden_horn

hayden_horn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
haha. well, the card came stock with my laptop, and i didn't bring EVERYthing with me to japan, figuring that the big wide internet could help me if i needed anything.

so, in short, i don't know, because i don't have the cd. although my display now figures nicely. some part of your advice seems to have done something good. xp recognizes my card, and has given me a driver for it somehow.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run disc defragmenter and set a system restore point

Hope it stays running well

hayden_horn

hayden_horn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
i shouldn't need a defrag, but i'll give it a shot. this now crosses the realm into the software forum, i think, but i'll ask it anyway.

medal of honor pacific assault runs fine on my comp, except for the movies. there is massive flickering. ie, i get a flash of an image (i assume one frame of the movie) every couple of seconds, but there is no continuity. kind of brings down the atmosphere of the game. is there any way to troubleshoot this problem?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The games forum would be the place

http://www.geekstogo.../Games-f19.html

hayden_horn

hayden_horn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
ok, thanks a lot, keith. you've been a big help.