Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

aDAPTOR

• Please log in to reply

gritbox

gritbox

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Hi. my uncle recently bought a Dell but discovered there are no ports on the back of it for him to install his old printer and scanner. the connections for them are big plug type things with pins (similar to the crt monitor connection but longer) is there an adaptor he can buy to let him use usb? like maybe attach his current printer cable to a usb adaptor and then into his pc?

thanks

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. The port you are talking about is a parallel port. I have seen parallel to USB cables, even at Walmart! I have not been looking for one myself, so I didn't examine the one I saw at all. You will want to make sure the one you get will connect to the parallel port on the device, and to the USB port on the computer.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Just go to a used computer store and get a PCI or otherwise compatable card with the right connectors. Write down the make and part number so you can download the drivers for it, although windows will automatically install most of them