Jump to content

Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works


  • Please log in to reply




  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Hi. my uncle recently bought a Dell but discovered there are no ports on the back of it for him to install his old printer and scanner. the connections for them are big plug type things with pins (similar to the crt monitor connection but longer) is there an adaptor he can buy to let him use usb? like maybe attach his current printer cable to a usb adaptor and then into his pc?

  • 0




    Retired Staff

  • Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. The port you are talking about is a parallel port. I have seen parallel to USB cables, even at Walmart! I have not been looking for one myself, so I didn't examine the one I saw at all. You will want to make sure the one you get will connect to the parallel port on the device, and to the USB port on the computer.
  • 0



    Member 2k

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Just go to a used computer store and get a PCI or otherwise compatable card with the right connectors. Write down the make and part number so you can download the drivers for it, although windows will automatically install most of them
  • 0

Similar Topics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

As Featured On:

Microsoft Yahoo BBC MSN PC Magazine Washington Post HP