Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dvd burning

• Please log in to reply

gritbox

gritbox

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
hi, whats the best program to use to copy dvds? i want to copy my dvds to avoid the original getting scratched. does any burning software take care of any copright issues?

thanks

Advertisements

The Colonel

The Colonel

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
Roxio and Nero, but i don't know about the copyright. Check them out.

gritbox

gritbox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
is dvdshrink any good?

The Colonel

The Colonel

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
DOnt know, Roxio and Nero with ALcohol 120%

gust0208

gust0208

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
Hello,

In the spirit of Fair use and protection of media you already own, I can put in a few suggestions.

Yes, DVD shrink is a great easy to use program for "shrinking" or transcoding (different from re-encoding) a double sided (DVD-9) commercial DVD to fit on a single sided blank DVD.

When you mention "copyrights", I assume you are referring the CSS encryption or other copy protection methods in place. In this area, DVD Shrink is beginning to show it's age in it's ripping engine. Overall, the basic workflow for creating a functional backup of your DVD is to first rip the contents of the DVD to your hard drive and removing copy protection/encryption and then use a program to "shrink" the contents to fit on a single sided blank DVD.

So for program recommendations, we will start with DVD rippers:
1) DVDFab Decrypter is a free and frequently updated DVD ripper is probably the most widely used at the moment.
2) DVD Decrypter - this was the original free DVD ripper and had a fanatical following. It was recently removed to legal reasons, but a search around would likely reveal a spot to download. It is easy to use, but now with lack of updates, it may have trouble as newer copy protection methods are devised. But it still will likely work on 95+% of DVD's out there
3) AnyDVD - a commercial program that silently removes all copy protection of DVD's in the background when ever a program or user accesses the DVD. It is also continually updated.

Now that the DVD files are on your harddrive, we need to get it to fit on a single layer blank
1) DVD Shrink - you already have this program and it gives decent quality results and is very easy to use. This program compresses the DVD movies files by "transcoding" them and will not be able to match the quality of re-encoders. But, it is easy to use and if you are able to find DVD Decrypter, Shrink can automatically burn the shrunk DVD for you and is truly a one-click solution
2) Nero Recode - a commercial program part of the Nero Burning ROM suites and was made by the creator of DVD Shrink. Thus, it works and looks very similar, but is faster and can burn the resulting image with Nero. This is a transcoder.
3) DVD Rebuilder - has a free version and a pro version and is the new standard for people looking for the best quality DVD back ups. It is a re-encoder and thus offers the best quality, but takes longer to back up a disc. With the development of high quality free opensource MPEG encoders, this is becoming a good free option for DVD processing. It is more difficult to use and features a small amount of a learning curve.

Hope that helps, so if you are looking for quick and easy to use, I would recommend DVD Shrink with DVDFab Decrypter to rip the DVD to your hard drive.

Cheers,
Tom

is dvdshrink any good?

View Post

gritbox

gritbox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
thats great my man. ill download those 2 right now then. i just dont think its unfair of me wanting to copy my home dvds so idont ruin them!!!

thanks a lot for ur help

NvidiaDude

NvidiaDude

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
DVD DECRYPTER is good